Yeah, You Write! set for Sept. 22 at the Sandbar

Regine Meridy, Staff

The first Yeah You Write! of the school year is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 22 at the Sandbar from 6-8:30p.m.

According to Undergraduate Coordinator Patricia Roger, Yeah, You Write! started in 2013 and is celebrating its seventh year.

The event gives undergraduates of all majors at the University of New Orleans an opportunity to showcase their creative writing pieces.

“There was a student who double-majored in English and music. He performed some of the music that he composed, and it was amazing,” Roger explained.

Students may submit any creative pieces to share: poetry, short stories, speeches, songs. However, participants should be prepared to read their showcased works.

“There are usually seven performers who will read their pieces,” said Roger. “Each speaker will have 10 minutes to read what they have.”

“The Yeah, You Write! event is also counted as a Privateer Plunge event,” said Roger. This gives freshman extra help earning their points for the Plunge.

The deadline to submit has been extended to Thursday, Sept. 15 at 3p.m., so students who wish to participate are still in luck. Send your writing to Roger at [email protected] or Katie Chosa at [email protected]

Refreshments will be provided, and the Sandbar will be open as well.
Yeah, You Write! is open to the public. “Anyone can come,” said Roger. “Invite your friends, families and coworkers to come out and see some good artists. Yeah, You Write! is meant to encourage UNO students to showcase their creative talents.”