Apple is clearly the better choice

Christopher Walker, Editor-in-Chief

For the majority of the population, there is no reason to get anything other than an Apple cell phone. Why wouldn’t you? They are virtually impervious to viruses, designed in America with jewel-like precision, have a stellar camera, and use extremely intuitive software.

But a portion of the population wants to feel different, wants to feel like they aren’t slaves to a giant corporation, even though they’re simply choosing to sign their allegiance to a different billion-dollar entity. These people are called Android users.

Those who choose to use the Android system typically bring up three reasons why they chose their product over Apple: cheaper, customizable and better specs.

Apple products are expensive, there’s no getting around that. Although there are cheaper alternatives to Apple products on the market, the most popular Android phone is the Samsung Galaxy. And that phone is every bit as expensive as Apple’s new flagship phone, with the added benefit of coming with pre-installed bloatware, an objectively inferior camera, and the possibility of exploding in your hand.

Although there are people who can truly only afford a less-expensive Android phone, the majority of people are just looking to save a few bucks when they buy a cheap phone.

The old financial advice is to spend your money where you spend your time. Look around: most people spend a huge portion of their day on their phones. Other than your bed, there’s not a single product you’re likely to spend as much time using as your phone.

More and more, our phones are becoming our lifeline to the rest of the world – for both work and play. When it comes to email, text, phone calls, photography, surfing the web, social media, and app design, an iPhone is the industry standard, the device all others are measured against.

So the next argument becomes the idea of customization. Apple products are not terribly customizable. For the most part, what you buy is what you use. And although that means just about everyone’s phone looks the same, that means your phone is going to work exactly like it’s supposed to.

With an iPhone, you will never have to worry about getting a virus. The last thing most people need to worry about is their phone, their chief communication tool, getting a life-ending virus when they open an email attachment.

What do Android users want to customize so badly? An iPhone lets you change the lock screen and background. What else do you need to personalize on your phone? If the manufacturer gives the user access to more important things, that means an attacker has much easier access as well. The miniscule reward is not worth the extreme risk. The idea of root-access customization is a feature few people need.

Lastly: tech specs. Android might have an obscure phone made in China that can browse the web slightly faster than the newest iPhone, but technology nerds who only look at pure speed or pure power miss the entire point of Apple.

Apple isn’t about the numbers; they’re about the experience. Like motorheads who get lost in engine specifics, the engine is not all that matters in a car. A truly good car is one that delivers the best experience for its passengers. Sound insulation, interior linings and stereo system all add up to an experience largely independent of the engine. Across the board, no phone delivers as good of a user experience as an iPhone.
To be blindly loyal to any one company is silly, but the vast majority of Android products deliver a user experience far inferior to what Apple offers. Ultimately, the conversation regarding Android vs. Apple is a fun, harmless one; but Apple is better.