Android is the way to go

Leo Castell, Staff

Android is a name that is as ubiquitous to smartphones as Windows is to computers; and like Windows, their chief competitor is Apple.

Where Apple has traditionally marketed their merchandise as premium products that can be difficult to afford, Android is typically a bit more considerate to your wallet. This isn’t to say that Android doesn’t also offer higher-end products, but their spectrum covers the lower as well.

Last year’s iPhone 6s will run you anywhere from $550 to $850. That is a lot for a one-year-old phone made outdated by the iPhone 7. Google’s flagship Nexus 5X and 6P phones from last year cost $200 less. They’re also eligible for Google’s very own Project Fi wireless service, which makes figuring out how to manage your monthly phone bills as easy and cheap as it could possibly be. Couple this with top-notch customer service, and you have a phone that works for you, not against.

Cheaper prices typically mean cheaper quality, and while it is true that Apple’s iPhones are frequently made of aluminum for a more premium feel, Google’s plastic smartphones hardly feel inferior. As far as durability is concerned, they’re on par with each other. The ultra low-end Android phones may feel noticeably less sturdy than Apple’s alternative, but with the money you save, you could buy a high-end case and still have cash to spare.

As far as the actual technical specifications behind each device, Android is extremely competitive, in part because it has to compete among itself. This is where having multiple manufacturers for your software really shines, since whatever one brand doesn’t do the other will. Samsung, LG, Motorola, Sony, Asus and many more trusted brands all have phones in the Android market. From Asus’ rock-solid and affordable ZenFone 2, to Samsung’s ultra high-end Galaxy S7 Edge, there’s a phone for every price range.

This wide variety of devices encourages competitive experimentation, which is why you’ll often see novelty features go on to be standards of smartphones around the world.

The more tech-savvy consumers can also feel free to modify their phones however they wish. Much like PCs, Android phones are designed to be as customizable as they can possibly be. If you’re the kind of person who likes to get the most out of your tech and push it as far as it can go, then Android has you covered. This is especially true if you’re the kind of person who also likes to play video games, as Android is really the only way to play the latest releases.
Android is a movement that celebrates technology and all the amazing things it can do. More than that, however, it’s an idea that everyone should be free to celebrate technology as much or as little as they want. Just think about the name, Android. Depending on who you are, it’s either just tiny green robot or the epitome of science fiction.