History reveals drug usage nothing new

Grant Campbell

Kelley Davis, Contributor

Drug usage among humans is nothing new.  Our ancestors have been using drugs for over 10,000 years according to a study done by Elisa Guerra-Doce, an anthropologist and professor at the University of Valladolid in Spain.

Germany, Switzerland, and Spain were found to be cultivating opium poppies as far back as 6000 B.C, and our Neolithic ancestors as far back as 8000 B.C. Smoking paraphernalia has been discovered in old tombs, China was fermenting alcohol 9000 years ago,  and around 500 BC, sculptures depicted the semblance of psilocybin mushrooms were created in Central America.

Most of have used one drug or another in our lifetimes. Alcohol, tobacco, and cannabis are some of the common drugs young people use openly and freely in today’s culture. It’s the same reason you spun around in a circle really fast when you were a kid; you did it to feel lightheaded and funny!  Those that do drugs in adulthood get that same kind of temporary escape from reality, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But be careful.

Most of the population has it biologically wired into them to like drugs. A few select people are wired too hard, and they end up liking drugs too much. I know quite a few people who have been ruined by drugs, not because they tried drugs others didn’t dare touch, but because they had it wired into them to like those kinds of drugs better than others.

An alcoholic typically has that trait wired into them when they’re born, they just discover it. Moderation is key thing to remember if you are going to take the chance dabbling with illegal and possibly very dangerous substances.