Filed under News

While you were gone

Black Lives Matter At Forefront 

BLM5

In early July, jaws dropped across America as video of a man being shot several times at point blank range from the gun of a Baton Rouge police officer circulated through social media. Known as the “CD man,” Alton Sterling was killed while selling CDs outside of a convenient store.

While the police claim his crime was reaching for a gun, many people feel his only crime was being black in a world where black lives don’t matter. Thousands joined in protest of his murder, with the names of every other innocent black life taken by police close in their minds, written on their poster boards and forever in their hearts.

As the list of names continues to grow, however, the patience of concerned citizens continues to shorten. In a popular chant it is made clear: “What do we want? Justice. When do we want it? Now.”

Presidential Primaries End

President

After a season defined by multiple democratic email scandals, a hostile takeover of the Republican party, and a candidate thriving off of controversy, America’s most bizarre primary season in memory came to a close.

The Republican party continues to eat crow as they back a candidate whom many of them initially refused to endorse. The Democrats try to unite their party after the unusually drawn-out  primary season ended, with Hillary Clinton struggling particularly among white males.

With both candidates reaching record disapproval ratings from their own parties, this election is perceived more as choosing between the lesser of two evils. Hillary Clinton is edging farther ahead in the polls in key swing states while the Trump campaign tries to convince the GOP establishment its cause is worth fighting for.

RIO OLYMPICS: Chaos and Glory

Rio 2016

The months leading up to the Rio Olympics painted a chaotic picture of the event; seemingly nothing was going right with these games. There was even speculation that the games were going to be cancelled amid the outbreak of the Zika virus, concerns about waste-filled waters athletes were expected to compete in, security in the face of a police strike, terrorist threats, and body parts washing up onshore; all amid the biggest political crises in Brazil’s history.

Thankfully, the games appear to be going smoother than expected, with the United States currently leading the gold medal count by a wide margin. Viewership is still down from the games in London, but it’s starting to pick up as more and more people become intrigued by newcomers Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky, along with tried and true Michael Phelps. The closing ceremony is set to take place on the 21st of August.

Britain leaves the European Union

Brexit-flags

The world watched in amazement this summer as Britain decided to do the legislative equivalent of cutting off its nose to spite its face. Britain voted to leave the European Union, citing concerns over unregulated immigration of Syrian refugees as the major deciding factor.

The young, urban educated areas of Britain voted to stay in the Union, while uneducated voters in rural areas voted to leave. Britain’s economy immediately took a massive hit and continues to fluctuate, while the European Union’s economy has since stabilized.

The insurgent party that lead the campaign to leave the European Union admitted it had no idea what to do next and handed the power it had won back over to the original party, then quickly disappeared.

Terrorism

Pulse Nightclub 

May 7 – Iraq – 160 dead – Remains of 160 people found in mass grave, killed by Islamic state

June 12 – Orlando – Lone wolf kills 49, injures 53 in Pulse

June 28 – Turkey – 44 dead, 239 injured, Airport attack

July 3 – Baghdad, Iraq – 340 dead

July 14 – Nice, France – 85 dead at French parade

Pokémon GO Invades

Pokemon

Pokémon GO, released on July 6, took the world by storm; old fans and rookies alike quickly became obsessed with the app. Capturing the original game’s spirit of adventure and discovery, the game encourages players to get out of their homes and explore their cities.  

After a few days on the App Store, Nintendo’s stock soared, reaching its highest point of the last few years, as the game was downloaded millions of times. That is, until Wall Street realized the game was neither created nor owned by Nintendo, but instead by a California software company, Niantic.  

Niantic acquired the rights to use the Pokémon creatures in their game; little of the revenue went to Nintendo. Nintendo’s shares plummeted, negating virtually all affect the game ever had.

1 Comment

One Response to “While you were gone”

1. Christy on August 25th, 2016 1:11 am

“With both candidates reaching record disapproval ratings from their own parties, this election is perceived more as choosing between the lesser of two evils.”

Rather than focusing just on the negative, I think it’s important to mention how historical of an election this will be. Regardless of Clinton’s current popularity, she is the first woman to receive the presidential nomination for a major political party.

[Reply]

• While you were gone

News

NFL players kneel to take a stand against social injustice

• While you were gone

News

UNO attempts to increase visible school pride

• While you were gone

News

PBSU holds third annual fashion show at UNO

• While you were gone

News

Letters for those lost in Las Vegas

• While you were gone

News

Chris Suprenant awarded one of eight Galsworthy Fellowships

• While you were gone

News

Model United Nations team gears up for its eighth competition

• While you were gone

News

Professors share their reasons for choosing UNO

• While you were gone

News

Students choose UNO largely for its lower price tag

• While you were gone

News

Constitution Day Lecture a Timely, Engrossing Review of American History

• News

Where are all the PPlunge events?

While you were gone