Will Apple Products Ever Rot?

Erron Thomas, News Editor

According to the Mac-product-centric website macflypro.com, there are approximately 588 million Apple users to this day, excluding the iPhone. To take it a step further, according to the same Apple fans, there are currently 1 billion active Apple products in use today. Students at UNO’s campus are no stranger to the seduction of Apple products. 

Walking to and from class on an average day, there are Air Pods everywhere you look. Whether it’s in class during a lecture or a one on one conversation with a friend, people appear to be listening to music or podcasts. These tiny earphones are just one of Apple’s many products that are in constant rotation. From the VSCO girl with a rose gold Macbook, monogrammed iPhone case, and marble splashed Popsocket, Apple products are a visually assaulting full lifestyle brand. 

Apple’s popularity is not just for show. The company continues to have a loyal following because they allegedly produce excellent products. A quick scan of Reddit boards, you will see Macbook owners complaining frequently. Gripes include that the Macbook Airs are too thin for their own good and that the Apple logo is just a status symbol that doesn’t necessarily equate quality and quantity found in PC and Android counterparts. 

Yet, if all good things come to an end, as Geoffery Chaucer believed, when will Apple not be so dominant? Is it possible to continue to be a favorite brand for thousands?

Computer science major Bri Stone has an interesting point when it comes to the longevity of the company. “Apple is a very sort of private company which could affect the company’s relationships and, therefore, longevity.” (Readers may recall that in a recent Golden Globes attack, Ricky Gervais, in front of Apple CEO Tim Cook, roasted the Hollywood elite saying, “You say you’re woke, but the companies you work for, unbelievable. Apple, Amazon, Disney. If ISIS started a streaming service, you’d call your agent, wouldn’t you?” He went on to attack Apple for its use of Chinese sweatshops to produce products while celebrities lauded their streaming platform.)

Apple is very exclusive, not only in the private world. Where you must have an Apple charger to charge any Apple device, as well as Apple brand supplements for audio or tethering features, this proves very inconvenient for some users and may eventually inspire them to question their loyalty. 

Apple has been headed into never before seen directions for their company. Most recently they added a banking feature to their arsenal of products. Desiring customers can now apply for an Apple credit card which may develop into a  broader inconvenience. Due to Apple’s exclusive nature, various aspects of their technology aren’t always compatible with tech wares on the marketFor example, some restaurants’ wifi paying methods may not be compatible with Apple products resulting in limiting the opportunity for exchange between the merchant and person.

Companies like Motorola and Samsungre developing foldable glass phones. Exceptionally creative and innovative engineering and technology are necessary to create such telephones and may end up giving Apple a run for its money While companies are continuously brainstorming and generating new ideas for the future, Apple’s most pivotal creative hasn’t been around for years now. 

Is it possible that other companies will surpass Apple through creativity? Apple continues to stay an independent company, which has its benefits. Because the company is so exclusive, it is more difficult to evade or hack into their software. Yet is that enough to keep the company dominating the tech market for the next decade? 

Photo by Sara Kurfeß on Unsplash