Why Couldn’t Noah Save the Fourth Floor, Too?!

By Erron Thomas

Erron Thomas
The library’s fourth floor study hall remains out of commission.

During the first week of December, AKA finals time, many frantic students rushed up to the library. 

Upon reaching that amazingly laid out study floor, many students found themselves extremely overwhelmed. Walking up to the quiet study rooms looking vacant with blackened windows, students felt hopeless because their most conducive work area was out of commission. 

“That study area upstairs being closed down added a lot more unnecessary stress to my final studying process. The area is just so great, and it’s the only place on campus I go to get work done, so I was really out of whack once they closed it down for the year,” says mechanical engineer major Kevin Foster. Obviously the fourth floor plays a significant role in the lives of students on campus. 

Walking along the fourth floor today, it is clear where the water damage took place. Walking against the wall around the story, you can see baseboards pulled up from water damage; carpets pulled up. “The water seeped into the carpet and began disrupting electrical systems,” states Mcurgy Norma, the building coordinator. Therefore, they had to take up some wiring that the various computers on that floor had been connected to.

As random as this misfortune is, it stands to wonder why it even occurred in the first place. Building coordinator Norma and her associates weren’t necessarily able to pinpoint the direct cause. Still, she does state, “Ironically enough, on my way into the office that morning I saw the sewage and water board doing some work on the corner.” she arrived, administrator Shalita Gibbs “said that there isn’t any water pressure” Norma immediately thought of the sewage and water board team she saw outside. 

After getting word that the water pressure was restored, “I checked a few bathrooms to make sure everything was okay,” Norma said. A few minutes later, she got word from a woman in the ladies’ restroom that there were toilets backed up and the water was at the top. While calling Sodexo to get a plumber involved, the situation worsened. 

“The toilet is gushing [and]  overflowing,” Norma told the plumber from Sodexo, while all sorts of water came out of the toilet and rushed out of the bathroom. “The first person who came over did not have a tool to turn the water off, and by the time the second person came to turn it off when he opened the door to the ladies’ room, it was like opening the floodgates.”Water ran to the left of the bathroom into the quiet study room, to the right into the computer lab, as well as into their office. 

While unable to pinpoint the actual cause, Norma wouldn’t be surprised if it was caused by the constant wet infrastructure below us paired with students continuously attempting to flush brown paper towels in the toilet. 

Yet, what everyone is concerned with is why it isn’t fixed and how much longer are students going to be on the verge of failing out because the GOA study rooms are unavailable. Norma said,”We wish we knew”– a defeating answer. “Something as big as this has to go through the state office of risk management, which is ultimately why it is taking so long. The funding has to be approved by the state, and then someone is hired to come and clean the floors and replace any other damage that is done.” 

With that said, sadly, it is going to be a minute before the fourth floor is up and running again. Students are at the liberty of the state, and while students might be outstanding in the eyes of the state, there’s nothing that can be changed on a waiting list. It may be times like this when you wonder if maybe it’s worth it going to a massive private school, where these sorts of state-bound issues don’t necessarily persist.