What’s the wave ? Cheating !

Erron Thomas, Staff Writer

With new-age technology and harder possibly stricter grading guidelines and class requirements, it stands to reason that cheating has become a bit more common than usual. 

Part of the reason why cheating has become more of a norm is some students don’t even know they’re doing it. This is because there are so many forms of cheating today. 

This act of cheating includes deeds that could be as simple as copying homework from someone or somewhere. Or they could involve presenting someone else’s work as your own. Or the most popular version: cheating on a test. 

A study referenced in an article on OEDb.com gives some numbers to the problem. Of a group of college students polled, 60.8% of students admitted to cheating. 

Part of the reason cheating has become such a norm in the academic world is partly that many students are naive about what they’re doing. They don’t know that brainstorming on a take-home assignment together can be considered cheating.

With a constantly changing culture, universities worldwide have nothing to do but keep up. This results in more and more competitive schools. Competitive pressures placed on kids at young ages don’t leave them once they grow up. 

Pressure carries on with them in high school and well into college. After facing intense pressure to be the smartest kid in the classroom, it’s no surprise that some students may give in to the opportunity to succeed at the price of integrity. 

“Back in 1940, only 20 percent of college students admitted to cheating during their academic careers. Today, that number has increased to a range of 75-98 percent,” Study.com writes on cheating in college. 

The article clearly expresses the spike seen in cheating on college campuses. There could be plenty of reasons why a college student cheats. As previously mentioned, pressure, fear of failure, lack of good time management, whatever the case may be. The article, however, does not touch on reasons why the spike occurred. 

In today’s day and age, there is a plethora of technology flowing in and out of our daily lives. The technology has even taken the classroom by storm, not just with computers and calculators. Traditional classes are now being referred to as “Hybrid” 

“Hybrid” by definition is a combination of two things. Well, nothing is different as it relates to the classroom. “Hybrid” applies to a class that is both in the classroom and online. Biology Professor Jenifer Berglind has the opportunity to teach one of these new classes. 

“I find that a lot of my students may start their test and finish within five minutes of each other or even the same time,” she said. “Some of them have the exact same answers all the way through.” 

Berglind said these are just small tells that she has cultivated to see whether or not her students are cheating. 

Berglind offers not just take-home exams but online exams as well. While there may be plenty of external reasons as to why cheating occurs, teachers like Berglind sure do put students in an enticing situation by having google and a buddy a click away.