Work Studies 101

Work Studies 101

Erron Thomas, Staff Writer

“Man, I’m so broke,” could be one of the only expressions you hear around the UNO campus, depending on what circles you’re involved with. Before college, plenty of students may have relied on the established dynamic of their parent’s household, while some students are probably getting their first jobs their senior year, or the summer after. Their life-sustaining income is minuscule in comparison to the necessities of a full-time college student’s life.

This results in some students taking part-time, and in some cases, full-time jobs. Although a prevalent path for college students has become a bit more alluring: universities and even some community colleges offer a Work-Study program.

UNO offers three different types of work-studies: federal work-study, community service work-study, and budget work-study used for employment. The most common work-study that the university offers is the Federal work-study. “This program employs on and off campus.” The program is being provided to both under and graduate students, giving opportunities to make money while in college while also getting experience in their chosen field before leaving. This could all be found on the financial assistance page for the university. 

The community service work-study program “pays wages to eligible students who are employed in community service jobs as reading or mathematics tutors.” This program also offers an opportunity to make money while in school while simultaneously giving back to your community.

Lastly, the budget work-study program is also offered at the university. Although this position isn’t a federal work-study program, there’s still bi-weekly compensation through the university. It is offered on and off campuses to work within different departments on campus. While the previous two those interested would have to qualify financially, the requirement for a budget work-study is an interview.

Computer Science major Jonathan Goodman shares his experience with work-study. “I didn’t qualify for work study,” Goodman says. Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of jobs on campus that you don’t have to qualify for financing. Goodman expressed how he’s gone to the Dean of the Library’s office and filled out an application. Goodman gives valuable information relating to working on campus. He shares how most jobs on campus aren’t solely for work study students. Many students don’t apply because they know their parents make to much. Thanks to Goodman, the truth is there are more non work study positions. 

Students hesitating to apply to work on campus should undoubtedly stop. There are jobs that don’t require qualifications on top of offering working proximity to a school. These jobs often work with a student’s schedule, instead of forcing them to stress about making it work on time. Having an understanding boss can make a big difference.