The power of napping

Erron Thomas, Staff Writer

After a day’s load of classes, or perhaps after one class, many students may find themselves catching Z’s that slipped through their tired fingers the night before. 

Nap popularity has risen in recent years. This may be due to more and more people working hard. The harder you work, the harder you must rest. As the working class takes on longer shifts and students dive deeper into course material, the idea of napping becomes that much more alluring. 

Yet, the popularity leaves room to ponder, how vital, powerful, and helpful naps can be. 

Companies like Uber, Ben & Jerry’s, Zappos, and Google have officially installed nap spaces among the work area, all in hopes that a midday nap could boost employee creativity as well as productivity. Some college students are taking pages out of Fortune 500 companies. 

Biology major, Maddison Cooper, offers up beneficial insight on the matter. “I take naps on Mondays and Wednesdays,” says the freshman. Cooper has possibly felt the effects of napping physically and mentally. This vital act of rejuvenating is so beneficial that this particular student has ingrained it in their weekly schedule.  

“It compensates for the sleep that I miss,” says Cooper. Conversing with Cooper about the topic, she reveals an interesting aspect. Many students are just students who at times don’t have the most excellent work ethic or exceptional management of their own time. Nonetheless, sleep either is deprived or removed from the equation as a whole. Because of this, the occasional hour-and-a-half nap can become extremely beneficial for a student. 

This process could allow students to push more and work harder in the night if they can bank on having the opportunity to rejuvenate later in the day.

Like major companies, this sort of break in the day allows for better productivity later on throughout the day. Instead of not putting one’s best foot forward because they were robbed of sleep the night before, students prepare themselves to put their best version of themselves out and into their work. 

Cooper indeed offered thought-provoking responses. Yet, the UNO physiology professors provide an academic review of the topic.

A Psychology professor notes that “if you are sleep deprived, you can’t learn, perform, or think very well.”

The precise point undoubtedly gives reason to both companies and students like Cooper the encouragement to take that nap for a bit instead of trying to cram in some work. You simply won’t be putting your best self forward.

For healthy adults, studies point to a variety of immediate benefits following an afternoon nap. While much research on the long term effects has not been done, taking five, ten, or fifteen minutes to decompress, regroup, rejuvenate could result in better cognitive performance, better motor performance and simply a better overall you. 

The next time you find yourself between a work assignment and a nap, consider taking a nap before powering through. After all, sleep is way better than any assignments anyways.