UNO’s Prof. Christine Day gives her 2020 presidential election predictions

Professor Christine Day.

Photo courtesy of UNO

Professor Christine Day.

Jack Waguespack, News Editor

2020’s presidential race is heating up, bringing both new and familiar faces. Politicians are announcing that their candidacy, working on their campaigns and developing their support and endorsements.

Many candidates are voicing concerns about some of the major policies that the Trump administration has focused on, including climate change, LGBTQ+ rights, immigration and gun control. While voting is important, voters need to know who and what they are actually voting for.

With a record number of women and people of color running, Democrats are going to see some its most diverse candidates in 2020. Some bigger names include Kamala Harris, Corey Booker, Bernie Sanders, Tulsi Gabbard, Beto O’Rourke and Elizabeth Warren, along with newer names like Pete Buttigieg, Julian Castro and John Delaney.

California senator and former attorney general Harris focuses her campaign on middle-class tax cuts and a liberal civil rights agenda in the Senate, as does self-proclaimed Democratic Socialist Sanders.

O’Rourke, former congressman from Texas, recently lost to Ted Cruz in the midterm elections for Senator. O’Rourke gained a large following after midterms due to his views on immigration reform and LGBTQ+ inclusivity.

Gabbard, Congresswoman from Hawaii, recently apologized for her past anti-gay remarks and her work for an anti-LGBTQ+ advocacy group. She has strong opposition to American military intervention in other countries.

A former Harvard professor and senator from Massachusetts, Warren believes strongly in the new wave of feminism and plans on using that as her basis for bringing the first woman to office.

New Jersey Senator Cory Booker has been involved in politics since 2008, when he worked on Obama’s campaign, and has been a leader in the Senate on criminal justice reform.

So far, the Republican party has only two candidates who have committed to running: President Donald Trump and federal prosecutor William Weld.

Trump has focused on strict immigration control, climate change and renegotiating deals on trade in his first two years of office, which are similar to Weld’s views.

Weld ran with the Libertarian party for vice president in 2016 and has openly opposed President Trump. While they share similar political beliefs, Weld believes in moderate immigration reform, as opposed to the acts of the Trump administration.

UNO political scientist Christine Day remembers that when the majority of presidential candidates came from the Republican party four years ago, it was hard to predict the forerunners.

“Even after the televised debates started, the public and media spotlights kept shifting from one candidate to another,” said Day. “There’s a similar difficulty in making predictions about the large Democratic field this time around. President Trump himself will certainly be a top issue, as the election will be at least partly a referendum on the person and his presidency in the midst of ongoing investigations into his campaign, his business and finances, his inaugural committee, and the Trump Foundation continued in Congress and in at least two states, including Washington D.C.”

With such a variety of candidates, there will be many different opinions and policies shared once the televised debates begin.

“Health care and immigration have continued to be salient issues and are likely to remain so throughout the campaign,” Day said. “Financial issues that some candidates have raised include increasing minimum wage, and the expanding federal and national deficit.”