‘Amalgamations:’ A Walk Through Brennan Probst’s Exhibition

Pieces+like+%E2%80%9CDinner+with+My+Mother-In-Law%E2%80%9D+%28seen+above%29+offer+viewers+a+look+through+the+eyes+of+Brennan+Probst+in+everyday+moments.+

Pieces like “Dinner with My Mother-In-Law” (seen above) offer viewers a look through the eyes of Brennan Probst in everyday moments.

Photo courtesy of Brennan Probst

Photo courtesy of Brennan Probst

Photo courtesy of Brennan Probst

Nicole Guillen, Managing Editor

On a lively Saturday evening in the Bywater Arts District, the UNO St. Claude Gallery hosted MFA student Brennan Probst’s graduate exhibition. The title of the exhibition bears significance to Probst’s work. “Amalgamations” creates visuals based on the dynamic nature of time via photos and sketches.

“It’s the combining of moments in time, or places in space in the way I see or feel in experiences,” Probst said. This combination is apparent through the multiple exposures and negative stacking techniques in his photographic works. Seen to spectators as simple pilings of original photos, it conveys a much greater meaning that pertains to the properties of movement and change within the concept of time.

Probst was drawn to these methods because of their seemingly distorted view of reality. Common situations such as being in a Target are now depicted as a blur, a mess of current surroundings. This was the point Probst was trying to make.

“The subjects within my amalgamated images are not static; they are constantly shifting, moving, and changing much like how I perceive them through my eyes,” he said.

Though a majority of his exhibition are photography pieces, Probst showcases his drawing skills on a peculiar canvas: garbage. His series called “Regulated Garbage” depicts his everyday experiences, from looking at his reflection in his car’s side mirror to his wife sitting on the couch with their cats. Various pieces of trash that serve as the backdrop to these sketches include business cards, a piece of cardboard tubes, a half-ripped dollar and an old check.

The specific item that the sketches are drawn over cause the experience to be more tangible, as the item is selected from a personal experience. He emphasizes that they are “direct interpretations of my surroundings, translated straight from myself to the object I am drawing on.” While still maintaining viewership control, it is more obvious that the drawings are from Probst’s subjective perspective rather than the perspective of a camera lens.

Time is something the average human takes for granted. Probst urges viewers to hold on to experiences, no matter how big or small. Save the thoughts and feelings and let them fuel your appreciation for the incomprehensible concept of time. With an example like “Amalgamations,” people are led to reflect upon their own perception of life and the continuous passing of time.

Probst’s exhibition is available to the public in the UNO St. Claude Gallery through April 7. The gallery is located on 2429 St Claude Ave. Regular gallery hours are from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday to Sunday.

Brennan Probst is also currently Driftwood’s head photographer.

Nicole Guillen, Managing Editor

Accounting major at UNO, Nicole has stepped up to the plate and swiftly taken on all the managerial duties of managing editor! Don't let her innocent look...