Mardi Gras field guide: Killer Poboys

+Black+Beer+Beef+Debris+PoBoy+is+one+of+the+many+original+sandwiches+to+be+eaten+at+Killer+PoBoys.

Mardi Gras field guide: Killer Poboys

Black Beer Beef Debris PoBoy is one of the many original sandwiches to be eaten at Killer PoBoys.

Photo via Killer Poboys website

Photo via Killer Poboys website

Photo via Killer Poboys website

Nicole Guillen, Managing Editor

Marching up and down streets caked with makeup and adorned in elaborate costumes, many parade-goers find themselves desperately in need of a snack and or drink. Local New Orleanians know the inconvenience of walking countless blocks just to find one decent place to eat. The days of stumbling upon random eateries are over. Enter, Killer PoBoys.

Conveniently located one street over from Bourbon St., the ironically traditional green restaurant allows customers to have the unique experience of eating within a secluded space while being sonically immersed in the usually rowdy Mardi Gras celebrations. The first steps into the open space instantly transport those intrigued to a place reminiscent of Los Angeles and it’s trendy yet sentimental feel.

The laid-back atmosphere is supplemented with the cozy and modernized classic New Orleans staple of poboys. With menu items such as “Seared Gulf Shrimp Poboy” and “Roasted Sweet Potato Poboy”, it might seem like its made from a world-renowned chef. The chef in question is Camille Boudreaux who was once a student at UNO. Boudreaux has had previous experience working at Arnaud’s Remoulade, a place known for its perfect combination of a comfortable yet classy bar setting.

According to a report made by Nola.com when it first opened in 2015, Killer PoBoys was meant to play with the dichotomy of old and new but eventually decided on sticking with a new style of PoBoy all together since “it’s difficult to make a classic poboy.” The decision to make a modernized poboy has served the establishment well as it has reflected New Orleans’ own changing times. With the push towards a modernized New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, poboys like the seared gulf shrimp poboy have familiar flavors complemented by the exotic ingredients like daikon, a traditional Southeast Asian root. Such inclusion of ingredients consumed mainly in Southeast Asia and more represents the now globally-recognized and globally infused city of New Orleans.

Alice Guidry, a New Orleans native, frequently comes to Killer Poboys even on Mardi Gras off-seasons. When asked about the aspects of the restaurant that she continues to be drawn by, she excitedly proclaimed, “The prices!” Like most college students, she looks for restaurants that are within her budget. Killer PoBoys boasts both modest prices and a guarantee of a good time no matter how old you are.

Looking around the restaurant with a sincere smile, she confesses “I’ve had some of the most engaging and insightful conversations here.” Though it’s primarily a place to eat or drink, one shouldn’t underestimate the power of an eclectic environment. Customers that tend to dine here go in with the goal of speaking to someone new and forming connections. There’s no shortage of intellectual conversations and summaries of the crazy things happening on nearby Bourbon street.

Killer PoBoys is for those who enjoy good comfort food and the company of a previous stranger-turned acquaintance. Have a couple laughs, a delicious poboy, and talk to someone new. Who knows, you might end up finding a lifelong friend from initially feeling hungry.

Check them out: 811 Conti St. at the back of Erin Rose Bar and on 219 Dauphine St. / http://www.killerpoboys.com/

Nicole Guillen, Managing Editor

Accounting major at UNO, Nicole has stepped up to the plate and swiftly taken on all the managerial duties of managing editor! Don't let her innocent look...