Recycling at UNO and how students can easily get involved

UNO is committed to the practice of recycling, with reminders to do so all around campus, and an event held last week highlighted the importance of recycling.

Photo by Terry Shields

Photo by Terry Shields

Photo by Terry Shields

Demi Guillory, Reporter

On Friday, Feb. 1, the UNO Service Coalition partnered with the Student Government Association (SGA) to host an event open to all students in an effort to encourage them to become a “Champion of Sustainability.”  The event —complete with a free lunch and the opportunity to win some monetary prizes — was a way to get students committed to recycling.

At UNO alone, there are more than 5,000,000 pounds of recyclable waste that need to be reduced, according to the invite sent to every student’s email. The school is asking for every one of its 8,000-plus students’ participation to make that happen.

The Service Coalition and the SGA work collaboratively every semester to ensure on-campus recycling is an continuous effort. While the Service Coalition works to recruit student volunteers to manage indoor recycling bins, the SGA provides the funding necessary to cover the costs of the monthly recycling dumpster pick-up dates per a UNO webpage dedicated to student recycling. The efforts are entirely student-run, and both organizations in charge of on-campus recycling are constantly seeking new, environmentally conscious volunteers and support.

Perhaps it goes without saying, but recycling doesn’t just have positive effects solely on the UNO campus. Recycling has global effects that help reduce pollution caused by waste, which in turn helps reduce the need for raw materials, preserving rainforests. UNO’s specific goal in its recycling efforts, also stated in the invite, is to reduce its “very large carbon footprint” — every little bit students can do “helps lessen our impact.”

Last Friday’s event was one of many ways UNO tries to encourage students to become habitual recyclers. Many of the school’s commitments to a greener planet are in plain sight. For example, this semester, the Galley replaced styrofoam boxes with paper boxes. Students who frequent the library often may notice the blue recycling bins in the computer lab. Even here at the Driftwood, we are committed to recycling—at the bottom of every newspaper kiosk, there is a recycling compartment, where students can drop newspapers they’ve finished reading.

Bins are also accessible, but not limited to: the science building, the geology and psychology building, Liberal Arts Building, Kirschman Hall, Milneburg Hall, and the University Center. Dumpsters are located at three locations: Pontchartrain Hall, Milneburg Hall and the Science Building. Those unable to commit to overseeing a recycling bin are encouraged to still get involved by using these dumpsters to drop off paper and plastic items.

“If we are a campus that CARES, then we need to be a student body that MOVES,” as the email invite to all students passionately pleaded.