Keeping up with Student Government

Keeping up with Student Government

Senator Bryce Hartlin, photo taken by Jack Waguespack

Jack Waguespack, News Editor

The Student Government Association works nonstop to keep school spirit alive at UNO. They have planned multiple events, fundraisers and leadership retreats in order to promote student involvement and make sure everyone is UNO proud. SGA also meets every week to discuss and vote on bills and plans for other organizations on campus. Topics of bills range from funding a movie night or allotting a certain department more money to better its organization. These meetings are open to all students and take place every Thursday at 4:45 p.m in Kirschman Hall, room 137.

Senator Bryce Hartlin took the time to sit down for an interview with Driftwood to speak on what the SGA does.

W: Waguespack, H: Hartlin

W: What is your role in SGA?

H: I am a senator, so we meet every week and discuss bills that students want to pass. Usually it’s organizations or clubs looking for funding or departments looking for equipment and other things like that. We make sure each club has what it needs and that the school’s maintenance is kept up.

W: Why did you become a member of SGA?

H: I believe in the link between students and faculty. I really wanted to be a part of something that would allow me to fix social issues around campus and help it become the best it can be overall, and SGA gave me just that.

W: Why should students be involved with their student government?

H: Students always see something they want changed on their campus, but rarely ever do something to work toward their goal. Being involved with student government allows you to help make the changes you want to see. Not only are you improving your life, you are helping other students who may see the same problems as you.

W: What are some of the more recent bills that SGA has passed?

H: We do a lot of them, so it’s hard to keep track. We donated a good bit of camera equipment to the film department, and we work really closely with the fraternities and sororities on campus. Each week is different and really depends on the needs of the students and faculty.

W: What has been your favorite part of being a member of student government?

H: Being a part of the culture on campus and knowing I have a say in what the students need and want. I have the power to sponsor bills that students want passed, and it feels good being able to help them with what they need.

Most campus organizations plan events to draw students’ attention, and it’s up to students to take advantage of these opportunities. Campus involvement provides students with opportunities to make friends, join organizations and even find an internship or job. It’s a way to start a dialogue between students and the people who work directly with the school, ensuring the students’ voices are heard and that they have the college experience they want.