Fahrenheit 11/9: Michael Moore’s Left-Hook

+Moore+dousing+ex-governor+Rick+Snyder%E2%80%99s+lawn+with+the+tainted+water+from+Flint%2C+MI%0APhoto+courtesy+of+State+Run+Films+and+Briarcliff+Entertainment%0A

Moore dousing ex-governor Rick Snyder’s lawn with the tainted water from Flint, MI
Photo courtesy of State Run Films and Briarcliff Entertainment

Moore dousing ex-governor Rick Snyder’s lawn with the tainted water from Flint, MI Photo courtesy of State Run Films and Briarcliff Entertainment

Dylan Mininger, Entertainment Editor

There’s nothing better than a documentary that makes you absolutely enraged. No one is better at achieving that from their audience than Michael Moore, a filmmaker who has been making some serious documentaries designed to shed light on issues in America and the world that people may have missed. In his newest film “Fahrenheit 11/9”, he covers a wide range of recent events in America, his topic receiving the most focus being Donald Trump and how in the world he actually got elected as president.

The film has a runtime of about two hours, covering topics such as the election, the rigging of the DNC, the Flint water crisis and the Parkland school shooting, as well as a few others mixed in. The film is a tad bit starker from previous Moore films, often mixing his tough topics with tinges of humor, sadly where we are in this nation right now is not too funny. Although the films feels like it jumps around fairly quickly, bopping from topic to topic, it makes you feel a bit confused, and it should. After two viewings of this film, I had a wide range of reactions to every scene and reveal of information, the first viewing drove me to immense anger. Upon my second viewing, I was overcome with a deep and unrelenting sadness that only comes from realizing the lack of democracy that actually occurs in this country.

Moore’s often criticized as being more of a propaganda machine rather than a filmmaker. HIs views are often thought of as incredibly reactionary, and his arguments are accused of spinning the story to favor his narrative. Great documentaries always have some level of spin within their films, through usage of music, release of info, visuals and sometimes just straight up narration trying to spin the story. Moore’s past films such as, “Roger & Me” and “Bowling for Columbine” are what I believe to be some of the finest documentaries shedding light on the lack of true democracy and freedom in America. This documentary is no different, yes there are moments where I feel Moore might have been pulling on a thread. Overall, the facts of this film are true, and they are absolutely terrifying.

In most of Moore’s previous work, it tends to lean towards a staunch democratic opinion, which has turned off a lot of viewers. This film is different, this film is Moore’s angriest yet, and he’s angry at everything within the system, but more importantly, he’s mad at himself and all of us for letting a lot of it happen before our eyes and convince ourselves everything will be okay. Moore is at his most explosive when discussing the Flint water crisis, Flint being his home and birthplace. This film is worth it based strictly on his analysis of the crisis and his belief that it’s ethnic cleansing.

This documentary like most of Michael Moore’s previous work will receive heavy criticism, due to the fact that this film isn’t designed to convince the gleefully ignorant, it’s trying to push the onlookers to step up to the ongoing revolution. This film needs to be watched, disregard a lot of partisan politics while viewing and just appreciate the incredibly obvious and simple message; get up, get mad and get busy doing something.

Dylan Mininger, Entertainment Editor

Dylan is a graduate student at UNO in the film department, and he is most notable at the Driftwood for his stunning film reviews.

Contact: [email protected]