Filed under News, University

Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship starts a cake war

Students hard at work on their cake. Photos provided by Cassandra Jaskiewicz.

On Thursday, Sept. 20 from 6 to 8 p.m., Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship hosted a cake-decorating competition.

The participants broke into groups and came up with team names that matched the Pokémon theme of the Cake War. Each team was to incorporate the Pokémon theme into the design of their cake.

The four teams had a few minutes to plan and execute the chosen design. Chi Alpha provided frosting, food coloring, a variety of candies and sprinkles for the participants to use on their cakes.

Cakes were graded on creativity, how well the Pokémon theme was integrated, presentation and team effort. In addition, the Chi Alpha introduced obstacles for the participants to overcome. Paola Isabel Angel, the treasure and life group leader from Chi Alpha, made participants only use one arm for a few minutes, took away a team’s most-used utensil, and even turned off the lights.

The students worked hard to handle whatever obstacles they were presented with. If they were caught ignoring obstacles or breaking rules, points were deducted from their final scores.

Chi Alpha regularly hosts events for students.

“Usually we ask life group leaders to host an event. I chose this mainly because I really like cake and I knew I could help out,” Angel explained.

Cake War is an regular event for Chi Alpha. Angel said, “It is something we usually do for the Privateer Plunge events, but we have done it in the spring. It something we … do [annually].”

This makes event planning very simple. “I could build off of the previous years. The hardest part is coming up with a theme and getting all the items together,” Angel explained.

Each team had about five people working on a single cake.

“I actually got more people than I thought! I was expecting around 10 people and we got about sixteen people from the start and then more showed up late,” Angel said.

Once the cakes were properly judged and the winners announced, everyone ate the cake that they worked on and mingled with their teammates and the other participants.

If students want to attend more events like Cake War, Chi Alpha has commuter worship on Tuesdays at 12:20 p.m. and on Wednesdays at 7:37 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Milneburg Hall room 179.

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Managing Editor

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

Cassandra Jaskiewicz is a senior at the University of New Orleans majoring in English. Originally, she is from Michigan,...