VASA’s 10th annual Paper Lantern Night draws a crowd

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Managing Editor

More stories from Cassandra Jaskiewicz

Many students came together to make Paper Lantern Night happen. Photo provided by Brennan Probst.

On Saturday, Sept. 22 at 6:30 p.m., the Homer Hitt Alumni and Visitor Center hosted the 10th annual Paper Lantern Night. This event was planned and lead by the University of New Orleans Vietnamese-American Student Association (VASA).

VASA is an organization whose goal is “to provide and spread cultural awareness throughout the UNO and Greater New Orleans community through service, advocacy, and friendship.” Besides the Paper Lantern Night, other major events put on by the Vietnamese American Student Association are the canoe trip, Asian culture night and the date auction.

Paper Lantern Night had decorations, t-shirts for sale and arts and crafts. VASA secured musical performances with dancing and singing on the first floor of the Homer Hitt Alumni and Visitor Center. The second floor had a photo booth and more seating. They also offered a wide variety of food that honored both Vietnam and New Orleans. If a guest donated a dollar or more they could get bubble tea or a Vietnamese-style dessert.

Many members of VASA worked toward hosting this event, even calling on members outside of the university’s chapter. Tania Wilson, computer science major at Louisiana State University (LSU) and a member of VASA, volunteered to help out in hosting the Paper Lantern Night.

Wilson explains, “VASA … set up this event and … asked [its members] for volunteers … I just helped with decoration.”

Members from other chapters often step out in order to help fellow members. Volunteering at VASA events at other universities is common practice.

VASA is open for all, Wilson said.

“I got lured in by a friend, basically, and I went to one of their events, the date auction! That’s the one that really got me. … I saw that and wanted to do that. I found out there was a lot of volunteering involved, and social events. It had a good mix of what I was looking for, and so it became exactly what I wanted.”

The date auction is one of the most popular events that VASA hosts. Wilson explained, “It’s a big performance show. It is very loud! Very fun!”

Wilson also highlighted more events to look forward to. “LSU VASA sets up a basketball tournament and invites all the alumni back and they make their own teams and compete. The money we make from that gets donated!”

The association regularly hosts charity events.

“Usually these events are for philanthropy. Basically during the summer there is a conference respective VASA members attend and decide on what philanthropy group we send our money to. So all the money that all the VASAs make will go to that charity,” said Wilson.

Wilson and VASA deemed Paper Lantern Night a success. Students are welcomed to join VASA at 12:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month in Kirschman Hall to see what the association is working towards next.

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Managing Editor

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

Cassandra Jaskiewicz is a senior at the University of New Orleans majoring in English. Originally, she is from Michigan,...