Delta Zeta presented Sunflowers for Starkey

Claire Sargent, Contributor

More stories from Claire Sargent

Delta Zeta sisters working at their event, Sunflowers for Starkey. Photo provided by Claire Sargent.

Delta Zeta hosted their first-ever “Sunflowers for Starkey” fundraising event at UNO on Sept. 27 in the library breezeway. Students bought sunflowers while walking to and from class to support the sorority’s philanthropy. The event sold out of sunflowers within the first hour of tabling, and the sorority had to supply more from local grocery stores to keep up with the demand.

“Sunflowers for Starkey is Delta Zeta’s newest philanthropy event to raise money for those who are less fortunate and cannot afford hearing aids,” said Erica Yaeger, Delta Zeta’s philanthropy chairwoman. “Starkey Hearing Foundation travels to almost every continent to help better the world and give the gift of hearing.”

Yaeger coordinated this philanthropy event and has coordinated other Delta Zeta philanthropy events at UNO.  Maddy Kelly, a Delta Zeta sorority sister, came up with this new philanthropy event. “

“We wanted to do something different, and we decided on this in particular since it was a fun and unique idea,” Yaeger said. “[Maddy] specifically thought sunflowers would be a big hit for this event, and it worked out really well.”

Yaeger also gave some insight into how much work goes into planning a philanthropy event.

“Without the help of my sorority’s executive board, I wouldn’t have been able to do this. We all work together to make events happen by using our different strengths to come together and make events such as Sunflowers for Starkey a reality. It takes a few weeks of planning, but the planning time can vary depending on the philanthropy event. Our major spring philanthropy event, Claws for a Cause, had a lot of details that had to be worked out in order for it to happen, so that event took a few months to finally pull it all together,” said Yaeger.

Delta Zeta’s national philanthropy is the Starkey Hearing Foundation, and all of the proceeds from Sunflowers for Starkey went to the Starkey Hearing Foundation. According to the Starkey Hearing Foundation, their purpose is to give the gift of hearing to those in need, and they empower those who are hearing-impaired to reach their full potential. They also made a commitment to the Clinton Global Initiative in 2010 to provide one million hearing aids this decade. The Starkey Hearing Foundation works in every continent except for Australia and Antarctica to provide hearing aids globally.

Starkey Hearing Foundation has three different phases of community-based health care that they offer. In the first phase, they identify and train partners and healthcare workers, screen and give primary ear-care services to potential hearing aid candidates, take ear impressions, and create custom ear molds. The second phase consists of providing hearing devices and custom ear molds for qualifying hearing aid patients, and then train hearing aid recipients, student ambassadors, teachers and patients on how to properly care and operate the hearing aids. They also choose and train local program teams to execute ongoing program activities. Phase three is their AfterCare program, which provides monthly services at a central location to give patients access to additional care, monitors and evaluates the program and team members, collects data and identifies new hearing aid candidates for a future phase one to begin.

“We appreciate everyone who comes to support our events, and Delta Zeta wishes to give back to our community as much as possible,” said Yaeger.

Claire Sargent, Contributor

Claire Sargent

Claire is a senior at UNO, and she's super excited to be interning at the Driftwood this semester! She hopes to be writing...