Swampball: UNO ambassadors have another successful event

Students playing Swampball in the muddy waters in the quad. Photo provided by Terry Shields.

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

On Saturday, Sept. 29, the UNO Ambassadors held their annual Swampball competition. Many teams signed up and crowds of people came to both play and watch teams battle it out in the muddy water. This years theme was safari and many teams showed off it with team outfits.

Swampball is one of the largest events that UNO hosts during the fall semester. This event is a volleyball tournament played in two big pits of muddy water in the quad. Teams play against each other until only one is left. If a student wants to play Swampball, they will pay a fee of $10, but this includes food and two games of Swampball. The UNO Ambassadors are the ones who organize and run the event. They make the teams, create the space and provide food.

The profits that the UNO Ambassadors earn with Swampball go into the many scholarships that they have for the students. These scholarships can help many students start or continue on with their education. These are given out based on merit, leadership or financial need. The scholarship applications for the 2018 year are over, but proceeds will go forward toward the 2019 applications when they resume in early 2019.

Anyone can join in on Swampball: students, alumni or the community at large. There is a minimum of six players on a team, but students can have up to eight.

The UNO Ambassadors will find teams for players who don’t have one. All students have to do is leave their contact information with the UNO Ambassadors.

The tournament also offered drinks and food, such as hamburgers and hot dogs, for the many people who are playing.

Meredith Knauer is a grad student at UNO and studies psychology. She attended Swampball with her sorority and was on campus with her team early in the morning. This was also her first time playing Swampball.

“I didn’t have a hard time making a team for Swampball. A bunch of people in my sorority already wanted to play. They just passed around a sheet and I put my name down, saying [that] I want to do it,” Knauer said.

Swampball is not only for the expert volleyball player, but for players of all levels. “It wasn’t hard to prepare for swampball. We paid about 10 dollars and we had to get duct tape for our shoes,” Knauer said.

Shoes coming off in the water is one of the challenges that participants face when playing Swampball.

“It hasn’t happened to anyone yet, but that’s probably because I have duct tape on my shoes. But they won’t let you get in without the duct tape,” Knauer added.

If the time commitment is a problem, Swampball doesn’t have to take the whole day.

“You can leave when you’re done, but you can always stay and watch other games,” said Knauer.

Swampball will happen again next fall with a new theme and will welcome new challengers to the tournament.

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Managing Editor

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

Cassandra Jaskiewicz is a senior at the University of New Orleans majoring in English. Originally, she is from Michigan,...