Recreation and Fitness Center and UNO students

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

UNO’s Recreation and Fitness Center is located on campus right behind the University Center. It offers many activities, some of which the average UNO student may be unaware.

Brittany Buckel, a front desk worker at the Recreation and Fitness Center, offered some insight about the gym.

“We offer a lot of classes, a few different yogas, a swim aerobics class [and] there’s different cycle classes,”  Buckel said. “I’ve heard the swim class is very cool.”

Gym fees and the fees that go with taking a class can be an obstacle for students to commit to during the academic year. However, the Recreation and Fitness Center gives students a chance to stay healthy during their time at UNO.

“All these classes are free for any UNO student with an ID, or anyone who has a membership with the gym,” Buckel said. “We have really great equipment, and we offer no charges to use our lockers … while you work out.”

There are many areas to exercise within the Recreation and Fitness Center. Their cardio and weight room holds a variety of equipment for people to use on the second floor, while there are stationary bikes on the first floor.

On the second floor, there is also an indoor track area that overlooks the gymnasium below and the outdoors beyond. It is very beneficial for those who do not want to run in the Louisiana heat.

Their gymnasium has three full-sized basketball courts, and has the equipment to transform into a volleyball or badminton court, should someone request it.

On the first floor, there is a pool that is 25 yards long, with four lanes and a depth of 4 feet to 4 feet, 6 inches.

There are two racquetball courts with hardwood floors and glass walls behind the players.

There are also dry saunas in both the men’s and women’s locker rooms that are available for all to use.

The Recreation and Fitness Center even offers fitness assessments and body composition assessments.

Fitness assessment tests look at a person’s cardiorespiratory function, body composition, muscular strength, muscular endurance and flexibility. This test is only $15 for UNO students, instead of the $20 for members.

If a person only wants to know their body composition, then it can be done separately for $10. This assessment has a trainer look at height, weight, body fat percentage, girth measurements, body mass index and their waist-to-hip ratio.

The Recreation and Fitness Center provides many opportunities for students to improve their health. They welcome people of all athletic levels.

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Entertainment Editor

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

Cassandra Jaskiewicz is a senior at the University of New Orleans majoring in English. Originally, she is from Michigan, but without fail, makes the 16-hour drive to Louisiana in order to further her education. She works hard in all her courses, and many teachers has described her as a pleasure to have in class. In the Buzzfeed quiz, “What Fruit are You,” she got labeled as a banana, which meant she was “goofy” and “loved to make other people laugh.” Jaskiewicz loves traveling and over the past summer completed a study abroad in Cork, Ireland. She learned many things about the culture, herself, and how fast she could work in a five-week program. Jaskiewicz dreams of working with IGN or Polygon, but is not picky about her career after college and is open to any and all future job offers.