Filed under Features

Omega Delta Sigma awards Madison Fisher a challenge coin

Photo provided by Claire Sargent.

Photo provided by Claire Sargent.

Photo provided by Claire Sargent.

On Thursday, Oct. 4 Delta Zeta sorority member Madison Fisher was awarded a challenge coin, which is a high-level award from Omega Delta Sigma, the co-ed veterans fraternity on campus. Fisher was given this award for two reasons: her work with Omega Delta Sigma’s president Ollie Olivero to help revamp their social media; and for taking a standard operating procedure Olivero wrote during his time as a public affairs liaison and making that procedure work for other collegiate organizations as well.In regards to Fisher’s work with Omega Delta Sigma, Olivero said, “She also worked with our treasurer, Adam Kendrick, in developing a sustainable budget that allows us to not only pay the required monies to Nationals, but also have excess cash flow to engage in other activities on campus.”

“In the future, our hope is to engage in more fundraising on and off campus while also working with other schools in the area. We are currently keeping an eye on other schools in Louisiana, such as Southeastern and Tulane, to set up another chapter. Madison will be utilized to help us organize outreach events to the veterans at those schools in order to help us grow.” She continued.

Fisher said that, “In helping Omega Delta Sigma, I’ve had an increase in my self esteem, and they have given me a sense of belonging. They have helped me strengthen and make connections for future endeavors. They have helped me learn to have patience and have given me opportunities to grow as a person and in my education. The members of this organization truly have the biggest hearts and are willing to give anyone the shirts off of their backs. This friendship with them has made me want to improve myself and extend a helping hand out to others. In the future, I hope to continue to help them with their finances and social media, as well as help increase their presence nationally. More than anything, I intend on being an ally and friend on campus.”

Omega Delta Sigma and Delta Zeta plan on working together more in the future. Delta Zeta is currently helping Omega Delta Sigma with their philanthropy project with Bastion, a local community for disabled veterans and their families, to give them a holiday experience with toys and other Christmas gifts. Omega Delta Sigma participated in Delta Zeta’s Claws for a Cause, a crawfish boil competition that raised money for the Starkey Hearing Foundation, last spring semester. They plan on participating in Delta Zeta’s Alternative Night Out, an event that teaches college students how to be safe and the importance of being safe when going out, which will be occuring later this month.

Claire Sargent, Contributor

Claire Sargent

Claire is a senior at UNO, and she’s super excited to be interning at the Driftwood this semester! She hopes to be writing professionally in the near future. In her free time, she enjoys singing, reading, and hanging out with her cat. She stays pretty involved on campus, so one can spot her with her Delta Zeta sisters, at an Intersectional Feminism Club meeting or stressing out about schoolwork in the library by mid-semester. Oh, the joys of being a college student!