Your Academic Major Is Your Decision

Driftwood Staff

Coming into the new school year, college freshman are bombarded with the same question repeatedly. “What’s your major?” But, this question is answered with the old response that no one should ever say: “my parents picked it for me.” College is a time for self-discovery and freshman are too accustomed to the high school-way-of-life. The kind of life where there’s always somebody telling you what to do, when to do it, what to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, what classes to take, where to go, and the list could go on.

When incoming freshman come to register for classes at their university, they should not be afraid to study what they enjoy. If a student wants to study biology and focus in dermatology, then they should pursue that in their academic career instead of being bogged down by the controlling parents who tell them to study engineering because the job field might be leaning in that direction. There is nothing worse for a student than spending three to four hours a day going to classes that have nothing to do with what they want to do with their lives.

Students should study what they find interesting! It would make college more enjoyable and less stressful. Aside from that, additional benefits to studying in a field that interests the student is the ability to connect with peers and even alumni who can connect them to the workforce. This could lead to amazing opportunities like job shadowing, internships, and tours of the workplace that could be beneficial for students in the biology, engineering, and science fields.

A few more benefits for students who study what they actually find interesting is higher salaries! Harvard Business Review suggests that people who work in fields they enjoy end up making higher salaries in the long run. It is because people are more engaged with topics they like. With engagement comes the drive to want to do more than they are asked and success with their careers because of it. So, if a student studies what they find interesting and found a way to make a living doing it, they would be very close to having a perfect life. It is like that saying “if you love what you do you’ll never work a day in your life.” People could have their dream job and make enough money doing it that they could afford to go on family vacations to Disney World.

If a student just happens to have the most stubborn parents and there is no way they will be able to study what they want, there is still a light at the end of the tunnel. Statistics from the US Bureau of the Census show that only 27% of college students find a job related to their college major. So, if a parent is making a student study biology to go to pharmacy school, they could still end up with a job they enjoy. If a student reluctantly got a degree in engineering, they could end up working in Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism (HRT) if that is what they love to do.