#Gunshine State: Another Shooting in Florida

David Katz is playing at video game tournament earlier this year. Photo provided by youtube.

On Sunday, Aug. 26, Florida experienced another tragedy when David Katz entered Jacksonville Landing Complex, which was hosting a gaming tournament for Madden 19. He shot and killed two participants and wounded 11 before killing himself on the scene.

Katz was a player in the tournament, but had lost earlier this week in the qualifiers. While none of the victims played against him during those games, many speculated that his loss inspired this rampage.

These communities are often created through word of mouth and internet forums. This tight-knit community feels the pain of this tragedy deeply. Elijah Clayton was a 22-year-old from Woodland Hills, California, and Taylor Robertson was a 28-years-old from Giles, West Virginia. Both were well-liked and respected in their community. Clayton placed second in a tournament earlier this year, and Robertson made his name in the gaming community by winning over 72 percent of his games in the Madden community.

“We are shocked and deeply saddened by the senseless violence in Jacksonville and the tragic deaths of Dot City Gaming team member, Taylor ‘SpotMePlzzz’ Robertson, and Eli ‘True’ Clayton., They were great competitors and well-loved members of the Madden community. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies go out to their families, loved ones, and all of those affected by this tragedy,” Robertson’s gaming sponsor, DOT City Gaming, said in a tweet regarding the events.

This is not the first time Florida has made news for a shooting. The Pulse Nightclub shooter left 49 people dead in 2016. In Fort Lauderdale, at their local airport, five people were shot, and later, Parkland, florida, experienced a school shooting. Many seem to be finding fault in the government as a result of these repeated tragedies.This shooting instigated the heated gun control debate and sparked the hashtag #Gunshinestate and the hashtag #anotherflshooting, demonstrating the public’s outrage for the tragedy.

How did you find out about the Florida shooting?

However, many used Twitter as an immediately updating news source.

One student at the University of New Orleans (UNO), Kiara Smith, who is a freshman majoring in hotel and restaurant tourism, said, “I saw it on my phone with one of the apps that is embedded in your iPhone.”

Phones seem to be a major way for students to get there news as,  Jack Felty a spanish major and senior, said “I saw it as a news notification on my phone!”

Another student here at UNO, Stephanie Waguespack , an accounting, in continuing education, and for many others said, “I saw it on the news,” or people there are people like Caroline Fruge, a graduate student in accounting, who said “I heard it from a friend.”

However other students sought out the answers on news sites. Valeria Sánchez Escamilla, romance languages, continuing education at UNO, said “I heard about it on the news site El País”

Many are still reeling from the losses and finding out information about these tragedies, but stay following the news outlets!