Find the club that’s perfect for you!

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Entertainment Editor

Making friends on campus may seem like a daunting task. For many, having the confidence to talk to other students in class, to approach strangers in the library, or to sit down with someone new while eating on campus is far too intimidating. However, The University of New Orleans does not leave students to struggle on their own and has plenty of clubs that allow new students to connect with others and get a jump start to their new lives.

The University of New Orleans has many different clubs ranging from political, cultural and religious to recreational, special interests and volunteer. Some clubs have already made an appearance on campus, in order to welcome students to the new semester.

Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship hosted the “Chicken and Waffles Welcome Party” on Friday, August 17. The purpose for their club is stated on their website and is “to aid in students’ growth in their spiritual, mental, and academic lives.” They have no member requirements and welcome all students to join! They meet on Wednesdays, 7:30 p.m. – 9 p.m. in Milneburg Hall, Room 179. Their major events include the Burger Bash, Swing Dancing and Action service projects.

UNITY UNO has one purpose expressed on their website and it is “to create a community of LGBTQIQAP+ identified individuals as well as their allies in order to establish dialogue, form a safe space for exploration and expression, educate about and discuss issues relevant to the community, and work to initiate change.” They are open to all people on campus and have no membership requirement! This club meets on Fridays at 4 p.m. in the Math building, Room 102. Their major events include the Big Gay Talent Show and Second Chance Prom.

Progressive Black Student Union is another club on campus and their purpose is expressed on their website to be “to promote cultural, academic, social and political growth as well as to raise awareness of issues relative to the black community.” Membership is open to all students. They meet on Tuesdays from 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the Student Success Center and they host the Heritage Ball and the PBSU Homecoming Week!

A student of University of New Orleans, Sofía Gilmore-Montero, a senior who is double majoring in English and foreign languages with a concentration in Spanish, said “I do have time for clubs…some clubs! I am the leader of the Spanish conversation group that meets twice a week a month on Tuesdays and also I sometimes get the chance to go to the philosophy club when their meeting time syncs up with my schedule.”

Many clubs are willing to work with student schedules and are happy to see their club positively affecting the community. Clubs can also help building resumes for life after college, as well as providing connection and experience. Don’t be afraid to shop around before committing to a club!

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Managing Editor

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

Cassandra Jaskiewicz is a senior at the University of New Orleans majoring in English. Originally, she is from Michigan, and she made the 16-hour drive to Louisiana in order to further her education. She works hard in all her courses, and many teachers has described her as “a pleasure to have in class.” In the Buzzfeed quiz, “What Fruit are You,” she got labeled as a banana, which meant she was “goofy” and “loved to make other people laugh.”

Jaskiewicz loves traveling, and over the past summer, she completed a study abroad trip to Cork, Ireland. She learned many things about the culture, herself, and how fast she could work during a five-week program. Jaskiewicz dreams of working with IGN or Polygon, but is not picky about her career after college and is open to any and all future job offers.