National Trust For Historic Preservation

Building on previous success, the National Trust’s HOPE Crew is returning to St. Bernard Parish this month to continue the massive preservation effort at Chalmette National Cemetery.

From Mar. 17—30, using the latest tools, volunteers will have an opportunity to learn how to clean, document and realign hundreds of years old headstones inside the cemetery alongside preservation experts, as well as discover layers of Louisiana history. As many as 60 volunteers (at least 13 years old) can participate each day—no previous experience or special skills required.

Through the efforts of 1,884 volunteers over the past two years, they have uncovered nationally significant, yet largely unknown, military history, such as the stories of the U.S. Colored Troops—brave African American men and women who served the Union Army during the Civil War in exchange for food and clothing. And there’s more to uncover this year!

The effort is now a successful national model of how community, technology and preservation experts can come together to sustain a hallowed place. However, local volunteers remain especially critical considering the deferred maintenance challenges facing Chalmette and our national parks across the country.

Your can find out more and register at:

www.savingplaces.org/chalmette-volunteer-month