GNOWP Celebrates 40th Anniversary

GNOWP Celebrates 40th Anniversary

The Greater New Orleans Writing Project (GNOWP) has been housed at the University of New Orleans since 1978.  It is one of more than 150 sites of the National Writing Project (NWP), which was recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as “the best large-scale effort to improve composition instruction now in operation in this country.”

GNOWP provides professional development for teachers.  Their workshops help teachers use writing and close reading to strengthen student learning, so students can meet the state standards required by Common Core.  

Through the summer Institute, teachers:

• Incorporate writing strategies that work for their particular school and student population
  • Develop and determine the “just right” entry point for their curriculum planning and instructional delivery
  • Build connections with a group of supportive and encouraging educators and writers
  • Develop strategies to design and deliver effective writing instruction to all students, including those with exceptionalities, and exceptional learners

Ultimately, the program helps develop mentor teachers and teacher leaders to match the Louisiana Department of Education’s plan for the Every Student Succeeds Act.  

The anniversary celebration will take place on Saturday, June 23.

“The 40th anniversary is a verification of the good works that survived even after Katrina, budget cuts, and grant cuts,” said Ken Rayes, UNO Instructor of English and Director and Instructor of Records for the GNOWP.  “We’re still in the planning stages, but we will be celebrating teachers of writing.”

The Summer Institute will take place June 18-26.  Applicants must be provisionally accepted into graduate school and must be someone who teaches or is interested in being a teacher.  Rayes encourages any students interested in the summer program to contact him at [email protected]