Business Carnival highlights student business organizations on campus

On Thursday, March 1, UNO held its Business Carnival and Diversity Celebration.  The event was held in Kirschman Hall by the College of Business Administration (COBA) Business Coaching Center and the College of Business Executive Committee (CBEC).  Students learned about business-oriented student organizations on campus and met COBA staff members.

“The purpose of the event is to get students in clubs so they can network,” said Megan Atlow, CBEC Vice President. “It gets them acclimated in the business world in their field.”

Eight business clubs attended the semesterly event, representing a majority of the business clubs on campus. Attendees learned about career development in COBA fields. Attending organizations included the American Marketing Association, Beta Alpha Psi Accounting Honor Society, the Finance and Economics Association, the Louisiana Restaurant Association, the National Association of Black Accountants and the American Hotel and Lodging Association.  

“A lot of students don’t know about this,” said Waad Alshehri, President of CBEC.  “Some students aren’t aware of the existing organizations, which is why we do several events in the lobby, along with emailing students.  Some organizations require challenging criteria, such as high GPA, yearly fee and so on.”

Being part of an organization is great to put on a resume, and also allows for the chance to move up in leadership when officer positions become available.  

The Carnival allows students to become more involved on campus and be connected with the school … by discovering new friends and networking with alumni,” said Alshehri.

Like the National Engineering Week celebration two weeks ago, events like these help bring awareness to certain aspects of different fields, allowing students to truly understand and explore their area of study.  

Students interested in starting regular programs like this for their department can ask the department coordinator about starting one.