Joss Whedon, Exit Stage Left

Joss Whedon, Exit Stage Left

On Feb. 22, Joss Whedon stepped down from writing and directing DC’s Batgirl movie. Known for his iconic TV series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and successful superhero movies like “The Avengers,” Whedon appeared to be a great choice for Hollywood to ensure another successful superhero film.

In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, he explained that “Batgirl is such an exciting project, and Warners/DC such collaborative and supportive partners, that it took me months to realize I really didn’t have a story,” and that “I’m grateful to Geoff and Toby and everyone who was so welcoming when I arrived, and so understanding when I…uh, is there a sexier word for ‘failed’?”

Fans on the internet either sighed a breath of relief or one filled with anxiety, as the “Batgirl” film is now left in limbo without a writer or director. Patty Jenkins has already proven that women can write and direct movies with her success from “Wonder Women.” Thanks to her, many fans of the Batgirl series want a female writer and director for the iconic female superhero.

Angela Robinson, known for directing “Professor Marston and the Wonder Women,” would be a wonderful option to fill Joss Whedon’s shoes. Robinson can easily produce a serious and fantastic film featuring one of Batman’s most iconic female characters.

The “Batgirl” movie would also provide a great opportunity for Diablo Cody and  Karyn Kusama to team up as writer and director again and produce another dark, humorous and thrilling movie. While “Jennifer’s Body” did not receive overwhelming praise, no one could deny the witty, unique dialogue and expert special effects.

If the “Batgirl” movie aesthetic emulated the gritty realism of Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy, then Kathryn Bigelow could design a movie to that caliber. Bigelow earned a slew of awards for movies she has directed, like “Zero Dark Thirty” and “The Hurt Locker.” There should be no question about her abilities or qualifications, and fans of “Batgirl” could trust her to do the character justice.

Catherine Hardwicke didn’t get overwhelming love and admiration for her work on the first “Twilight” film, but her skill and talent as director wasn’t in question. She directed a few more movies post “Twilight” that prove that she has the skill to make a teen-orientated “Batgirl” that promises to be both fun and dangerous.

Not many seem to be rushing forward to fill the space that Whedon has left behind. Roxane Gay offered to take over via Twitter on the same day that Whedon quit. Gay is most known for the comic she wrote for Marvel in 2016, “Black Panther: World of Wakanda.” DC Entertainment responded to her offer with interest, but nothing has been confirmed.

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Managing Editor

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

Cassandra Jaskiewicz is a senior at the University of New Orleans majoring in English. Originally, she is from Michigan,...