Winter Olympic Highlights

Feb. 9 was the night of the 2018 Winter Olympics opening ceremony in  Pyeongchang County, South Korea. Numerous countries were welcomed and honored at the inspirational ceremony that would usher in a plethora of historic and landmark success from attending Olympic athletes. Some of these highlights include:

The U.S. skater Nathan Chen placed 17th after finishing a short program filled with many tumbles and falls. He was originally the favorite to win gold, but after his disastrous performance in his short program, many thought that that this was it for his Olympic career. However, in his free skate, he would lands six quad jumps, more than any olympic event, giving him fifth place in the free skate.

After working hard over the years, earning medals in the Grand Prix and ranking nationally in Spain, Javier Fernandez is the first Spaniard to win an Olympic figure skating medal in 2018. He won the bronze medal.

Japanese figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu won the gold medal in figure skating and became the first man to get back-to-back gold medals in the Winter Olympics since Dick Button in 1948 and 1952.

At the height of the women’s 1,500 meters semi-final race, Elise Christie of Britain and Li Jinyu of China crashed into each other, which allowed Choi Min-jeong of South Korea to win. Elise Christie was expected to bring home gold, but had to be carried off in a stretcher as a result of the crash. Her current condition is still unknown.

Chloe Kim of the U.S. won gold at the Women’s snowboard halfpipe this year at the age of 17, after she landed her signature 1080s on her final race. She earned a lot of attention for tweeting during the event while earning her place among Olympic athletes.

Ester Ledecka of the Czech Republic had participated in only 19 World Cup skiing races in her career, which is very few. Most of her competitors had done that many in an entire season. Ledecka had also never placed higher than seventh in these races, as she is considered a “part time skier.” However Ledecka won the gold medal for the Czech Republic by 0.01 second.

The Men’s 15-kilometer Mass Biathlon was won by Martin Fourcade of France. He is the first of France’s Winter Olympians to earn four gold medals. Hos hard work and continuous efforts were recognized by the French president Emmanuel Macron, who congratulated him in a tweet.

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Managing Editor

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

Cassandra Jaskiewicz is a senior at the University of New Orleans majoring in English. Originally, she is from Michigan,...