Six romance movies for Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s day is fast approaching!

Valentine’s day is fast approaching!

Valentine’s Day is coming up soon, which can evoke numerous reactions from person to person. The holiday is a time to celebrate love among friends, families, and partners, but sometimes it is not always that easy. Money, location and people can dictate what goes into a Valentine’s Day plan. However, watching feel-good romance movies with a bunch of friends is an easy way to get into the mood to celebrate love. Here are just a few suggestions that can help keep you happy on Valentine’s dayno matter how you spend it!

1. “13 Going on 30” stars Jennifer Garner and chronicles a young girl named Jenna who is done with melodramas of teenhood. On her thirteenth birthday, she wishes to be “thirty, flirty and thriving,” as all her magazines tell her that that’s where all her happiness will be. Needless to say, watching Jennifer Garner force her love interest, a young Mark Ruffalo, and adult co-workers to do the “Thriller” line dance is fun to this day.
  2. “How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days” is another classic romantic comedy. Kate Hudson plays a magazine journalist who decides to take a hands-on approach to writing her article on “How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days.” Matthew McConaughey’s character bets to some friends that he can make a girl fall in love with him, no matter what. Endless hijinks, mishaps and mistakes ensue as the two of them, with no knowledge of each other’s goals, really begin to fall in love. It’s hard to imagine the actors in the same movie today, but their unpredictable chemistry is impossible to deny.
  3. “Two Weeks Notice” is one of the many romantic comedy movies Sandra Bullock did early in her career, but it is one of the best. Sandra Bullock stars as a young environmental lawyer who gets roped into assisting a corporate billionaire, played by Hugh Grant, in order to preserve a local community center. Grant’s character makes more and more co-dependent demands on Bullock’s character, driving her to put in a two-week notice to quit.
  4. “Last Five Years” is a musical starring Anna Kendrick as a struggling actress married to an aspiring writer, Jeremy Jordan. This movie reminds us that breakups and self-introspection are important aspects of love and growing older. The great musical numbers show that music can be therapeutic when coming to terms with loss.
  5. “Before We Go” is an independent film directed by and starring Chris Evans as a man who is trying to help a woman (Alice Eve) who breaks her phone while boarding a train to Boston. As the night progresses, the audience receives more intimate details about the characters, making them more and more complex. Ultimately, it shows how one single moment can shape a person’s entire perspective.
  6. “Warm Bodies” proves that stories from Shakespeare can always be remolded and changed to reinvigorate their timeless messages, while adding in zombies. “Warm Bodies” is a retelling of “Romeo and Juliet” that follows a zombie (Nicholas Holt) who falls in love with a human (Teresa Palmer). While the movie does follow many basic plot points of the classic story, its plot deviates just enough to keep the audience guessing.