Women’s March

On Jan. 20, the second Women’s March took place in an effort to create support and solidarity among the women of the United States. It started last year as a way to oppose Trump’s presidency and administration. Many people found President Trump actions and statements to be anti-women and anti-equal rights. Their sentiments culminated in a large-scale, international protest in an effort to keep justice and equality at the forefront of the American people’s mind.

Even though a year has passed since his inauguration in January, the fire among Trump’s opposers has not gone out. These organized marches take place across the country as an act of solidarity and camaraderie. Speeches and presentations were streamed to those who could not attend in person. Last year in New Orleans as many as 10,000 people marched to show support. This year, the turnout was just as good.

Many students at University of New Orleans went to Duncan Plaza starting at noon, showing their support till the time had run out.

Talia Haas, a freshman and business major at the University of New Orleans, attended the event this year in effort to support the movement. “The atmosphere at the women’s march was very empowering,” Haas said “To see everyone gathered in one place fighting for that same things was awesome.

“What stuck out most to me was the variety of people there; I saw people of all ages, races, genders… I’d like to see more people show up. Even though there was a big crowd, it could always be bigger.”

Trevor Nathan, a junior Jazz Studies major, said, “The atmosphere was pretty amazing, to say the least. So many people came out to unify as one for a cause and that was beautiful. The thing that stuck out to me the most is honestly the signs.”

People make the march a special and unique experience. Nathan wish more people had attended the march. “Honestly I wished I saw more people of color at that march,” Nathan said. “Intersectionality is such a big thing when we talk about oppression and mistreatment. I feel that when one marches solely for their own cause, it shows a lack of support for the people as a whole.

“You can never talk to everyone you see at marches, but you can read a whole lot of signs that surmise why they’re all there. People shared their experiences, emotions and sense of humor on those signs. They were like small samples of what people stood for. “

This sentiments are in line  with those of Courtney Davies, a Junior and Political Science major at the University of New Orleans. “The march felt less angry than last year, and had more of a sense of camaraderie,” Davies said.

While Davies did not go to the march in New Orleans, she did attend the march in Dallas, Texas to show her support for the movement. Empowerment remained the central theme, though the atmosphere was a little different. Many times marches, protests, and other politically charged movements can come off as aggressive and violent–frightening people away from a passionate and emotionally charged movement. However, Davies makes it clear that these marches are for everyone. “The march in Dallas this year was organized with families in mind, and I thought that was really cool,” Davies said.

She shared Nathan’s desire for more diversity and intersectionality within the movement.

“I hope the women’s march movement continues to evolve into more of an intersectional movement,” Davies said.” I’d kill to see more women of color and trans women, as well as women with disabilities and elderly women getting involved. I don’t think you can call it a movement for women unless it’s for all women.

“I think I’ll attend again if the organizers continue to be more self aware. I know on a national scale, it’s faced a lot of criticism for not being inclusive enough, especially in the first year, and that definitely needs to change.”

It is clear that the women’s right movement is still alive and moving forward. The women who organized the march in New Orleans are planning more events.  Check out their Facebook page to follow their next steps.