Heathers TV Show Backlash

Recently, it’s become trendy to reboot a film franchise or create an updated sequel nearly a decade after the original release. This new Hollywood tactic has led to numerous successes and failures when it comes to making a classic movie brand new again.

Successes include the “Star Trek” franchise’s 2009 return with Chris Pine as Captain Kirk more than 40 years after the original; “Jurassic World,” featuring Chris Pratt more than 10 years after its predecessor; and most notably, the lucrative resurgence of “Star Wars.” Finally, “Hannibal” gained a cult following when it went to the TV screen, proving that re-exploring a favorite story can become majorly successful when done well.

Sometimes a reboot reveals the new generation’s understanding of the old generation, and sometimes it can show a complete and utter disconnect. No film highlights this disconnect more than the new “Heathers” TV show reboot coming out later this year.

The new “Heathers” trailer, according to Twitter users, completely misses the point of the original 1988 film: it depicts groups of classically marginalized people as the villians.

The new “Heathers” now features a “body positive” girl as the leader (Melanie Field), an African-American student (Jasmine Mathews) and a genderqueer student (Brendan Scannell), while keeping the main character a young, white, straight female (Grace Victoria Cox).

Most fans of the show realize who the actual villain of the story is, but the discrepancy means that many people will see marginalized groups villainized and most likely murdered during the show’s run. This is why many people have such a negative view of the movie, as it does not come off as self-aware, but instead is ignorant of the current generation and political climate.

In an interview with “Entertainment Weekly,” show writer Jason Micallef takes a firm stance on the issue, saying that the events are meant to show that anyone can be popular and inspire a crowd. He also maintains that once the show airs, people’s opinions will change. The series is 10 episodes long, and hopefully it will provide a closer look into what makes these characters villains.

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Entertainment Editor

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

Cassandra Jaskiewicz is a senior at the University of New Orleans majoring in English. Originally, she is from Michigan, but without fail, makes the 16-hour drive to Louisiana in order to further her education. She works hard in all her courses, and many teachers has described her as a pleasure to have in class. In the Buzzfeed quiz, “What Fruit are You,” she got labeled as a banana, which meant she was “goofy” and “loved to make other people laugh.” Jaskiewicz loves traveling and over the past summer completed a study abroad in Cork, Ireland. She learned many things about the culture, herself, and how fast she could work in a five-week program. Jaskiewicz dreams of working with IGN or Polygon, but is not picky about her career after college and is open to any and all future job offers.