Case Closed

Recently, the Larry Nassar court case came to a close after many heartfelt and powerful testimonies that resulted in Nassar being sentenced with 40 to 175 years in prison for the years of abuse that he inflicted upon many of the athletes under his care.

Many female athletes had come forward accusing Nassar of sexual abuse and assault while he was practicing medicine at Michigan State University (MSU) where he originally started as a athletic trainer. The abuse happened as early as 1992 at MSU. Nassar had been working since 1986 and had cases appearing with girls as young as 12, with abuse spanning as long as six years. Many of the victims and families waited with great anticipation to see the verdict of Nassar’s case.

MSU faced many repercussions for having employed Nassar for so long. The court case consisted of an accumulation of many other charges throughout the years. MSU president Lou Anna Simon, Chairman Paul Parilla, Vice Chairman Jay Binder and Treasurer Bitsy Kelley all resigned sense the verdict of Nassar’s case.

Lou Anna Simon,issued her letter of resignation a few days later announcing she would be resigning Thursday. Her letter said, “To the survivors, I can never say enough that I am so sorry that a trusted, renowned physician was really such an evil, evil person who inflicted such harm under the guise of medical treatment,”

Rachael Denhollander, was the first of many to publicly accuse and confront Nassar of sexual assault, and most importantly was the final person of 156 women to stand up to Nassar in court, in order to deliver tearful and powerful testimony against Nassar actions against them. Denhollander in her final statement had told the judge Rosemarie Aquilina “Larry meticulously groomed me for the purpose of exploiting me for his own sexual gain,”

Many describe Nassar as a master manipulator to his victims. He often would convince parents that when the children came forward with their stories that the victims were confused. His abilities to pacify parents and authorities had allowed his abuse to continue on for years.

Angela Povilaitis, Michigan assistant attorney general, had said “The breadth and ripple of this defendant’s abuse and destruction is nearly infinite,” providing commentary on the depth of Nassar actions and the repercussions that the women abused felt.

Povilaitis had continued on with her statement by saying, “His practiced and perfected abuse spanned over 25 years and included countless victims, beginning before he was even a doctor, one who traveled the world seeking gold,”

It seemed that no one in the court was sympathetic for Nassar’s case, Judge Aquilina opened the courtroom to anyone who suffered from Nassar’s actions. When the case came to a close she declared,“It is my honor and privilege to sentence you,” and “I just signed your death warrant”

Many are getting justice from the verdict of this case and believe this is the right step for those who are sexual predators, but only time can tell if it will have a lasting effect on the future court cases of the same nature.

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Entertainment Editor

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

Cassandra Jaskiewicz is a senior at the University of New Orleans majoring in English. Originally, she is from Michigan, but without fail, makes the 16-hour drive to Louisiana in order to further her education. She works hard in all her courses, and many teachers has described her as a pleasure to have in class. In the Buzzfeed quiz, “What Fruit are You,” she got labeled as a banana, which meant she was “goofy” and “loved to make other people laugh.” Jaskiewicz loves traveling and over the past summer completed a study abroad in Cork, Ireland. She learned many things about the culture, herself, and how fast she could work in a five-week program. Jaskiewicz dreams of working with IGN or Polygon, but is not picky about her career after college and is open to any and all future job offers.