An A-list Protest

An A-list Protest

The Golden Globes took place on Jan. 7, 2018. This year, the ceremony did more than celebrate film industry professionals and the works that they produce. Fashion and activism combined to protest sexual assault and harassment during one of the most-watched events of the year.

From Natalie Portman calling attention to the all-male nominees for best director to Seth Meyer’s opening jokes about the actors who are left after so many scandals, the award show was packed with many emotionally charged statements. There was no way this award show could be a simple event after last year’s parade of sexual assault cases and reveals.

Many celebrities wore all black to the event, which became one of its most discussed protests. The organization “Time’s Up”  orchestrated this plan by some of Hollywood’s most successful and accomplished women. Their website states that “Time’s Up” acts as a call to women in entertainment to “address the systemic inequality and injustice in the workplace that have kept underrepresented groups from reaching their full potential.”

However, some of you may already see the small problem with a blackout wardrobe at a black-tie event. For many viewers, it seemed as though black was just worn more than usual. It made many actors appear as if they came in solidarity, when most tuxedos obviously include black. Some actors dressed for the movement, such as Caleb McLaughlin (“Stranger Things 2”), while others, such as Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, donned normal tuxedos. This led to many criticisms of the event’s planning.

While the blackout may have been questionable, women of Hollywood got their message across. Shailene Woodley and Laura Dern (“Big Little Lies”) brought women’s rights activists such as Calina Lawrence and Mónica Ramírez as their V.I.P. guests for the evening. Michelle Williams (“All the Money in the World”) brought Tarana Burke, the women who originally created the #MeToo hashtag, which went viral when Rose McGowan used it after the Weinstein scandals. Instead of talking about their dresses on the red carpet, these stars introduced their guests and explained what the guest’s organization does.

Overall, the Golden Globes was saturated in political controversy. Whether or not the women of the “Time’s Up” movement truly succeeded remains to be seen. However, their intent for the evening was not ignored by those who attended or watched at home.

Cassandra Jaskiewicz, Managing Editor

Cassandra Jaskiewicz

Cassandra Jaskiewicz is a senior at the University of New Orleans majoring in English. Originally, she is from Michigan,...