New seasons and new shows to watch out for in 2018

This year there’s no shortage of new TV shows to keep you entertained. Below is a short list of new shows, along with an older show that’s finally been renewed for new seasons.

“The Chi” – Lena Waithe’s Showtime series “The Chi” engulfed watchers in an action-packed and heart-pulling thrill from the very first episode, which aired Jan. 7. This drama follows a group of residents in Chicago’s South Side who are all inevitably connected by a ring of misfortunate events. It features Brandon (Jason Mitchell, “Mudbound”), a chef with dreams of opening his own restaurant with his girlfriend Jerrika (Tiffany Boone, “The Following”), who gets caught up in his responsibilities after the violence of the city affects his own family. The cast is full of incredible talent, also including Sonja Sohn (“The Wire”), Ntare Guma Mbaho Mwine (“Treme”), Jacob Latimore (“Survivor’s Remorse”), and Alex Hibbert (“Moonlight”).  Waithe seems to have delivered exactly what she said she wanted the show to be about in an interview. So far, it indeed offers a penetrating and potent look at “what it means to be black and human on the South Side of Chicago,” in Waithe’s words. The series is three episodes in and airs on Sundays at 10 p.m.

“Grown-ish” – Remarkably, after only a few episodes from its premiere on Jan. 3, “Grown-ish,” the spin-off of the ABC series, “Blackish,” has been renewed for a second season. Despite a few expected growing pains as the show steps into its own unique place and voice, it currently holds a 91-percent approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Featuring Zoey (Yara Shahidi), the oldest daughter on “Blackish,” the show follows her new journey to college and all of the great and not-so-great adventures that come with it. It is aimed towards a teenage and young adult audience, tackling relevant social issues such as drug use, romantic relationships and finding balance. It has been compared to “A Different World,” so if that show sparks your interest, this one is sure to do the same. The first season isn’t even halfway done yet, so tune in on Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on Freeform.

“Atlanta” – Though it premiered in 2016, FX recently revealed that Donald Glover’s show “Atlanta,” has been renewed for a second season set to premiere at 10 p.m. on Mar. 1. In this comedy series, two cousins try to make it big and provide for their families. Earn Marks (Donald Glover) is a broke college dropout who is “technically homeless,” and crashes with Vanessa (Zazie Beetz), occasional cuddle buddy and the mother of his child. After he realizes that his cousin Alfred Marks (Brian Tyree Henry) has an actual chance at a rap career, Earn becomes his manager. Together with Darius (Lakeith Stanfield), Alfred’s quirky best friend, the three of them set out to make it in the Atlanta rap scene. Their journey manages to be both hilarious and serious, and the second season is bound to bring “something controversial,” according to Glover in an interview with Esquire.

“9-1-1” – Like “Grown-ish,” the new Fox series written by Ryan Murphy, “9-1-1” premiered on Jan. 3 and has already been renewed for a second season. Other than that, the shows couldn’t be more different. “9-1-1” is an action-packed drama that explores the experiences of first responders, including police officers, paramedics and firefighters. It features Athena (Angela Bassett), a veteran police officer, Bobby (Peter Krause), a recovering addict fire captain and Abby (Connie Britton), a 911 operator. They must not only deal with the emergencies of their careers, including things like a flying bouncy house with children still inside and a baby stuck in the pipes after being flushed, but also the problems of their own personal lives. The show has received mixed reviews with some people feeling as though it’s unrealistic and disorganized, but it just might be your cup of tea. Viewers liked it enough for the creation of a new season. You can judge for yourself by watching on Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

Anjanae Crump, Editor-In-Chief

This is the editor-in-chief of Driftwood @sadecru – Her name is Anjanae Crump, though her last name will be changing this year after her wedding! She’s also a poet and author of 2 books of poetry. (“Tinted Windows: Surviving While Black” and “Love on Fire.”) She’s currently studying here at UNO to get her bachelor’s degree in English education and is planning to be a high school teacher and eventually a college professor (amongst other things). Her favorite colors are gray and orange and she loves cheesy breadsticks and french fries. You can always find her listening to jazz or soul music. Her favorite articles to write for Driftwood are social justice related. She wishes to spread peace, love and joy to all!