Haydel’s Bakery Contributes to New Orleans culture for over 55 years

Sofia Gilmore-Montero; Cassandra Jaskiewicz, News Editor; Assistant Layout Editor

For 58 years, Haydel’s Bakery has been treating the metropolitan New Orleans area to classic and delicious baked goods.  From cookies and cakes to pastries and pies, the bakery has a delightful assortment of treats. Originally, it was a 24-hour donut shop, but unfortunately, they no longer make donuts. Recently, we had the pleasure of receiving a tour of the bakery on Jefferson Highway, where we got to see the magical, creative treats come to fruition.

While there are a lot of bakeries in the New Orleans area, Haydel’s is unique.  “We’re different from your other bakeries.  Each original New Orleans bakery had their own niche,” said Tonya Kutz, director of human resources at Haydel’s Bakery.

Below are a few things you might not have known about Haydel’s.

• They hold the world’s largest king cake record. It measured 5,300 feet long and weighed 8,688 pounds.  The cake even had 331 pounds of sprinkles!
  • Inspired by the glass beads thrown by the Mardi Gras krewes in the 1960s and kids’ creations using the beads, Haydel’s Mardi Gras Bead Dog was born. In 2008, they commissioned local artist Philip Weddle to create his own rendering of the Bead Dog.  Each year, Haydel’s raffles off a bead dog painted by a local artist and all of the profits go to a local nonprofit or charity.  You can find the Bead Dogs all over the area, including at the Superdome, City Bark, Ramsey’s Diamond Jeweler on Veterans Memorial Boulevard, Nacho Mama’s in Elmwood, and the New Orleans Public Library on Harrison Avenue.
  • Haydel’s is well-known for their king cakes, but they are also popular when it comes to wedding cakes.  During the busy season, Haydel’s makes, on average, between 100-150 wedding cakes per weekend!
  • During the summer of 2011, Haydel’s Bakery had its own reality TV show called “Piece of Cake.”  It aired eight episodes and was one of the highest-rated TV shows on FOX 8 at the time.  The DVD is available on the Haydel’s Bakery website.

After touring the bakery and discussing the history of the place, we sat down, grabbed a cup of coffee and enjoyed the little box of pastries Haydel’s put together for us to take on the road.  Our favorites were the wedding cake ooey-gooey cookie and the French-almond croissant.

Haydel’s have remained authentic over the years. An example of this growth is during the Mardi Gras season, when they ship overnight thousands of king cakes around the world.  They also ship out their signature “Cajun Kringles” during the holidays.

“We like to say we’ve grown but not changed,” said Kutz.