“Heartbreak on a Full Moon” exceeds expectation

Ariell Reed, Reporter

On Oct. 31, R&B singer Chris Brown released his eighth studio album, Heartbreak on a Full Moon exclusively on Spotify and Apple Music. Physical copies of the double disc album were released on Nov. 3. On Halloween, the pop star hosted a free album release party at Universal Studios in Los Angeles. He performed a few songs from his repertoire, including his second single “Yo” from his debut self-titled album “Chris Brown.”

Teaming up with Tidal, the pop star gave his loyal #TeamBreezy fan base a pop-up show at the Manhattan Center Grand Ballroom in New York, which also streamed live for those at home. He performed hit singles, including three-time platinum record “Loyal,” latest singles “Pills & Automobiles,” “Privacy,” “Party” and “Questions.” Special appearances by rappers Fabolous, Dave East and Yo Gotti joined him on stage to perform their collaborations. At the end of the performance, he gave the audience encouraging words, “The whole purpose for me doing the album and concert was to let y’all see y’all freedom. Whatever you set your mind to, you’re going to succeed at anything y’all want to do.”

After a two-year hiatus following the release of “Royalty,” Brown gave fans an album of 45 songs full of lovemaking ballads and party anthems. In an interview with Hot 97’s “Nessa On Air,” he revealed that his goal for the album was to “outdo expectation” and “push boundaries.”

The last song of the album, “Yellow Tape,” can be thought of as his baby in this project. He considers it a reflection record incorporating “everyday life, what everybody struggles with and what I’ve been through.” The emotional song tackles multiple topics, including disloyalty, suicidal thoughts and toxicity as it compares the music industry to a crime scene.

As far as song writing, he doesn’t spend a lot of time in the composition process.  In an interview with Hot 97’s “Ebro In The Morning,” he admits to having 800 unreleased songs in his phone.

Usher, Gucci Mane, Dej Loaf, Lil Yachty, A1, Ty Dolla $ign, Verse Simmons, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, Yo Gotti and Kodak Black are among the artists featured on the album.

The R&B heartthrob teamed up with R. Kelly and Jhene Aiko for a fun, old-school song “Juicy Booty.” Brown sampled Mtume’s 1983 funk hit, “Juicy Fruit” along with west coast rappers Tupac and Dr. Dre’s “California Love.”

Since the album’s release, each day, an artist featured on the album has created a guest playlist on Spotify incorporating the musician’s favorite songs on the album, hit songs from artists in their home city or state and their own music. Kodak Black’s “Heartbreak in Pompano Beach” included his popular single “Tunnel Vision,” T Pain’s “Bartender,” “Candy Paint” featuring Bun B and other songs in which he features.

Chris Brown explores different genres as he sings “Rock Your Body” in a Jamaican accent: “Whine up pon it to the rhythm, come a little closer, why you so distant?” The dancehall song has a reggae vibe that explores his diversity.

“Paradise,” “Tough Love” and “Everybody Knows” are all about being stuck in love with an ex-girlfriend. In “Paradise,” his lyrics became candid. “I’ve been looking for love in all the wrong places and I’ve been looking for you in other girl’s faces.”

After the release of “Heartbreak on a Full Moon,” Brown won the admiration of his industry peers as they gave him their stamp of approval. Kevin Hart tweeted, “Listening to @chrisbrown new album and the shit got me turnt…. If you haven’t given it a listen yet I suggest you do so.” The comedian also posted a video of himself on Instagram dancing to “Sensei.” Super-producer Timbaland posted a video of himself singing to “Heartbreak on a Full Moon” after a workout. Said Timbaland, “I feel like I produced this, but I didn’t. It’s okay; this shit is hot. Chris, you a fool for this one, bringing real music back.”

Dominating the charts, “Heartbreak on a Full Moon” landed at No. 1 on Billboard’s hip-hop/R&B charts, becoming his seventh album to reach this status. He is now the male artist with the most No. 1 singles on this chart. “Heartbreak on a Full Moon” is also No. 3 on the Billboard 200 chart. The Recording Industry Association of America announced that Chris Brown’s new album was eligible for gold certification within a week of its release.