New Orleans’ Museum of Arts

Sofia Gilmore-Montero and Cassandra Jaskiewicz, News Editor; Layout Editor

The New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA) has been contributing to art and culture in the city of New Orleans since its opened on Dec. 16, 1911 with a small reserve  of nine works.  Founded in 1910 by Isaac Delgado, the museum hosts an expansive permanent collection of art that includes more than 40,000 pieces, keeping up its purpose to inspire and celebrate art.

NOMA has many different and unique exhibits featuring art and artists from all over the world. African, Oceanic and Asian art exhibits can be found on the top floor; the second floor shows decorative items, as well as more modern art; and the bottom floor hosts an impressive assortment of art from the European Renaissance period.

A new temporary exhibit called “East of the Mississippi: Nineteenth-Century American Landscape Photography” features numerous pictures, highlighting the vivid imagery of various locations and capturing life in America during that time. It will be open until Jan. 7, 2018. The next temporary exhibition is “Prospect.4: The Lotus in Spite of the Swamp,” which runs from Nov. 18, 2017 through Feb. 25, 2018.

The Sydney and Walda Bestoff Sculpture Garden was opened in 2003 with 50 works.  A leisurely stroll through the outdoor exhibits allows guests to see more than 60 sculptures works by artists from Louise Bourgeois to Pablo Picassolagoons, and old trees. The sculpture garden is wheelchair-accessible and can even provide assistance upon request. In fact, all of NOMA is very accessible for those who have a disability and still want to enjoy what the museum has to offer.

For those who want to take a break from walking and contemplating artwork, Cafe NOMA is a great alternative located just inside the museum, supplying drinks like lattes, Italian sodas and teas; and foods such as quiche, croissants and other pastries.

“We focus on local, seasonal and fresh ingredients that involve small farmers, using as much product as we can that is from the region and is in peak season,” writes Executive Chef Chris Montero on their web page, cafenoma.com.

Most importantly, NOMA is free to Louisiana residents on Wednesdays, making it the perfect addition to a year of fun in New Orleans. A visit to NOMA is a great way to spend the day, whether by oneself or with a group of friends.

For those interested in seeing what kind of excitement NOMA offers year-round, a calendar of events can be found at noma.org/events.