The Blackpot Festival in Lafayette a Cajun success

Michael Habermann, Contributer

On Oct. 27 and 28, The Blackpot Festival & Cookoff took place in Lafayette, Louisiana. The autumn event is a weekend affair held at Vermilionville, a historic park that celebrates the regional culture. Festival-goers come from all over to take part in the Cajun festivities.

Music is the main attraction, and it keeps people moving. From zydeco to country, indigenous American music with a strong focus on southwest Louisiana was on display. Talented musicians graced various stages, providing quality entertainment. The main performance area houses several hundred people, and a good chunk of them get groovin’ when the band starts. There are two additional performance spaces, both replicas of regional historic architecture: La Chapelle des Attakapas, a Catholic chapel, and L’École, a primary school.

The cook-off is an opportunity for Louisianian chefs to share their passion for Cajun cuisine. As the name suggests, food must be cooked in a cast-iron black pot. The festival gives rewards for best gumbo, jambalaya, cracklins, gravy and dessert. Hearty samples of each chef’s dish come free with the price of admission. Drinks are for sale at the bar by the main stage.

This year’s fest didn’t disappoint, and everything that makes the heart of Cajun Country unique went full throttle. Walter Mouton & The Scott Playboys dazzled audiences with their mastery of the zydeco form, and Los Texmaniacs brought the house down with their blend of Cajun-meets-Tex-Mex.

A little more than two hours away by car, The Blackpot Festival is a nice getaway for those looking to experience southwest Louisiana culture. There is also the option of camping at the park to get that extra Cajun boost. Those interested can check for more information on Vermilionville and next year’s celebration at https://www.blackpotfestival.com.