Six winter beauty essentials for surviving the cold in New Orleans

Sofia Gilmore-Montero, News Editor

Though winter in New Orleans is brief, we still suffer from the effects of cold weather.  The dry cold can cause our bodies’ normal habits to change, and sometimes that means we have to change our routines with it.  Here are a few essentials for the New Orleans winter.  

#1 – Heavy Moisturizing Cream

It’s a must-have to keep skin moisturized.  Heavy creams are essential during the winter, so the skin doesn’t dry out.  Nivea Crème ($8, Target) has been my favorite for the past few winters.  Lazy tip: it doubles as a foot cream. I really am enjoying Babaria Moisturising Body Cream in Olive Oil (this particular one is not available anywhere local, but there is a similar product called Babaria Almond Body Cream for Extra Dry Skin, available on Amazon for $20).  

#2 – Lip Mask

Lips tend to get SUPER chapped during the colder months of the year.  If you want to keep your lips from getting dry, I would recommend Vaseline Lip Therapy in Rosy Lips ($2, Amazon).  For extremely damaged or chapped lips, Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask in Clear ($26, Sephora) really hydrates the lips and is best used at night.  For extremely chapped lips during the day, Blistex Lip Medex works well and contains menthol ($2, Walgreens).   

#3 – Hand Cream

When I was younger, I never used hand cream.  Since I turned the ripe old age of 19, my hands decided they just wanted to die during the winter.  As a result, I’ve tried multiple hand creams and hated them all except L’Occitane 20-percent Shea Butter Hand Cream ($29, Sephora; mini size, $12).  Sometimes you can get the mini-sized tubes as gifts from Sephora or as a sample from the kiosks at department stores like Dillards.  

#4 – Hydrating Face Mask

While sometimes I feel that face masks are a waste of money, in the winter, I feel much less that way.  One of my preferred masks is the Peter Thomas Roth Blue Marine Algae Intense Hydrating Mask ($30, Amazon).  It’s pricey, but it sure helps keep my combination skin from drying out.  Sometimes, you can find these masks in value sets during the holidays on the Sephora website.  

#5 – Deep Conditioner and Hair Masks

Depending on your hair type, deep conditioner might be better than a hair mask; it also depends on the ingredients. I find that products with lavender help relax frizz; I’ve constantly relied on Origins Calm to Your Senses Conditioning Hair Mask ($27, Amazon).  Even though it says “mask,” I use it as a deep conditioner.  The other mask that I depend on is Organik Botanik Australia Spirulina + Avocado Oil Hair Mask (select TJMaxx stores, $5).  It smells amazing and really makes me feel pampered.  

#6 – Eye Cream

Eye creams can reduce the wrinkles, dark circles and puffiness that is further agitated by the winter harshness. I’ve tried multiple eye creams and found that different ingredients work for different people.  My under eye area gets very dry and has very dark circles.  The only cream that has worked for me thus far, after trying more than 10 different eye creams, is the Kiehl’s Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Eye-Brightening Concentrate ($44, Kiehls).  Yes, it is stupendously expensive. However, if you haven’t had any luck with previous eye creams, get a sample from a Kiehl’s kiosk and try it out!