UNO society of black engineers holds showcase

Kevinesha Glenn, Reporter

The University of New Orleans’ chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) held an exhibit on Thursday, Oct. 26 to expose students to the African American contributions in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).

They showcased a number of people: civil engineer George Buddie Kelley, inventor Garrett Morgan, chemist Percy Julian  and mathematician Dorothy Vaughn. A poster board stood on display, including a description of each person and the things they invented or discovered.

UNO’s NSBE President Osyria Webster said, “We even built our own super-soaker water gun, which many people don’t know was invented by a black person”— Lonnie Johnson. Aside from being able to plan and participate in the organization’s events, student members of NSBE can gain a number of internship and job opportunities. New positions are always available at regional conferences held every semester.

As a group, NSBE members also engage in various community service activities to give back to the public. For example, on Saturday, Oct. 28, members of NSBE worked with elementary schoolchildren, inviting them to UNO to learn about engineering and get hands-on experience.

When these engineering students aren’t volunteering, they need to find time to study. Luckily, NSBE students have plenty of space to work outside of the classroom. “We have our own club room that is open 24 hours a day, where people can study, hang out and [enjoy] networking opportunities,” said Webster.

Club member Stephen Richard said he felt the club to be “encouraging,” because he learned many new things about black engineers that he had no idea about before. For students interested in joining, the NSBE is open to all areas of STEM, not just engineering.