Career Fair provides beneficial opportunities

Kellie Vedros, Reporter

College is designed to help students prepare for the real world. Along with classes to teach different skills, the University of New Orleans office of Career Services offers opportunities for students to get ahead in the career planning area and helps prepare students make informed decisions about their futures.

On Sept. 26, Career Services held their annual Career Fair in the University Center on campus. Numerous companies attended and held on-the-spot interviews with students from every major.

“We usually have anywhere from 115 to 130 companies attend,” said Celyn Boykin, director of Career Services. “That includes Entergy, Ochsner, Chevron, the New Orleans Police Department and the Jefferson Parish School System, just to name a few. Companies locally, regionally and nationally are represented at this event.”

Career development is encouraged when a student first enrolls on campus. The Career Services Office offers several workshops throughout the semester, as well as orientations meant to prepare students for the career fairs. They also offer help with resume writing, searching for jobs and internships, practicing interviewing skills, career development plans and job placement assistance.

“I think they have a lot of interesting employers at the career fair that inform [the students] about different possibilities after college, such as AmeriCorps,” said Rachel Billiot-Bruleigh, a senior. “I like that career services offers resume workshops.”

Because the Career Fairs serve as interview sites, students are expected to dress appropriately, as well as have multiple copies of their resumes.

“You can’t just show up in casual clothes,” said senior Pauline Tu . “You have to dress business casual because it’s an actual interview. I saw a guy come in with shorts and a T-shirt one time and I could see that the people there were unimpressed.”

Many students have gotten their dream jobs because of the Career Fair. Some are even hired on the spot, if the company interviewing has the power to do so.

Overall, the Career Fairs and Career Expos are worth attending. They have opportunities designed for students of all majors and class levels. This includes part-time jobs, full-time jobs and internships for students and alumni.

“This is an opportunity for students and alumni to network and make meaningful connections with employers for current and future careers and internships,” said Boykin. “I encourage all UNO students to attend.”

The next big event is the Career Expo during the spring semester. Held at the Superdome, this fair is similar to the Career Fair, but on a larger scale. Multiple colleges and universities participate, as do companies ranging from Microsoft and Dillard’s to the U.S. Navy and CrescentCare. For more information and help, students can visit the Office of Career Services located in the University Center.