Adam Carlisle named New Orleans interim track and field/cross country coach

Courtesy of UNO Athletics

University of New Orleans distance coach Adam Carlisle was named interim head track and field/cross country coach, announced the director of athletics Derek Morel Monday. Carlisle is in his second season at UNO.

He joined the Privateer staff in the summer of 2016 after three seasons as head cross country and assistant track and field coach at Zachary High School.

In his first season in New Orleans, 10 student athletes appeared on the Southland Conference Commissioner’s Honor Roll, including Clayton O’Callaghan, who also received All-Louisiana Cross Country Collegiate honorable mention by the Louisiana Sportswriters Association. O’Callaghan is currently a graduate assistant coach for the Privateers.

Last season’s men’s cross country squad posted the best finish since joining the Southland Conference, led by O’Callaghan’s 25:50.7.

Michael Nicholls was selected Louisiana Sportswriters Association all-state and U.S. Track and Field & Cross Country Coaches Association All-America honorable mention after winning the Southland Conference’s 110-meter hurdles crown. He also appeared on the Southland Conference All-Academic team.

Carlisle holds several professional certifications from the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA), attaining level one status as a track & field technical coach as well as three level two certifications: endurance; sprints, hurdles and relays; and jumps.

Carlisle replaces Benjamin Dalton, who stepped down to accept an assistant coaching role at the University of Texas.