Volleyball Fights Back In Set Three But Falls To Stephen F. Austin

Courtesy of UNO Athletics

NACOGDOCHES, Texas – After dropping the first two sets to Stephen F. Austin State University on Wednesday, the UNO volleyball team fought gamely in set three but fell short to the Ladyjacks in Shelton Gym, 25-12, 25-9, 26-24. For the Privateers (7-10, 1-4 Southland), it was the first time this season they’ve suffered a straight sets sweep in conference play.

FIRST SET

Stephen F. Austin (15-5, 3-1 Southland) was in control of the first set from the start. Its largest lead was a 16-point, 24-8 advantage. The Ladyjacks fashioned a 0.333 hitting percentage to 0.036 for the Privateers. New Orleans committed six attack errors to SFA’s three and the home club took a 1-0 lead with 25-12 win.

SECOND SET

New Orleans grabbed its first lead of the match at 3-2. However, Stephen F. Austin ran away with set two, winning 25-9. Errors continued to be the problem as the Privateers committed 11 attack errors in the set while SFA did not commit one. The top-hitting club in the Southland had a 0.400 hitting percentage at the end of the set.

THIRD SET

New Orleans grabbed a quick 3-0 lead as the third set was a back-and-forth affair. A Lane Hindenburg kill gave UNO a 22-21 lead. It would be the last lead for the Privateers and moments later, Brianna Vega tied it with a kill at 24. A service error and a service ace would give Stephen F. Austin the set and match, 26-24.

BY THE NUMBERS

Senior Rondolyn Bryant led New Orleans with seven points. She also tied with freshman Rhyan Rand for the team lead with six. Lane Hindenburg had five kills and Kaitlyn Grice had four. Sophomore Brianna Vega finished with a hitting percentage of 0.300, junior Kaitlyn Grice hit 0.231.

As a team, the Privateers could only muster a 0.045 percentage while SFA hit at a 0.253 clip. UNO committed 23 attack errors to seven for the Ladyjacks. Errors made the difference as New Orleans lost that battle with 23 attack errors to seven for SFA — and 13 service errors to four for the Jacks.

For Stephen F. Austin, Shayla Eagleton hit 0.667 and Makenzee Hanna, the conference leader in hitting percentage, hit 0.625.

UP NEXT

New Orleans returns to action Saturday, Oct. 7 at the Human Performance Center when Houston Baptist comes to town for a match starting at noon.

Fans are encouraged to follow @UNOPrivateers on Twitter, @UNOPrivateers on Instagram, like /UNOPrivateers on Facebook and subscribe to the PrivateerAthletics YouTube channel.