Freezy Street offers alternative to traditional ice cream

Kevinesha Glenn, Reporter

There’s a new way to eat ice cream. Freezy Street, a shop located in the Marigny neighborhood at 2633 St. Claude Ave., serves rolled ice cream handcrafted to order.

Customers can watch their ice cream turn from liquid to solid in a matter of minutes as employees use a cold plate that stays below 20 degrees and two utensils to sculpt the ice cream into artistic rolls. Their ice cream rolls are made from a homemade base with no stabilizers preservatives or artificial flavors.

Flavors include Cookie Monster, Gimme S’more, Funkey Monkey,Strawberry Shorty, and Girl Scout Cookie, made with ingredients including fresh strawberries, bananas, Oreo cookies, caramel, chocolate, Samoa cookies, breakfast cereal and more. Vegan ice cream is available as well. Toppings range from Teddy Grahams to candied straws.

Because rolled ice cream is a handcrafted novelty, the wait can be pretty long. I’ve waited about 30 minutes before making it to the front of the line. Ultimately, the ice cream is well worth the wait, as it is rich and bursting with flavor – and full of texture, depending on your toppings of choice. Customers can also purchase a Sno-Ball, coffee and cold drinks.

The staff was friendly and considerate of their customers’ time, questions and concerns. The small shop offers comfortable seating as well as a large selection of games to entertain customers while they wait. Its colorful vibrant interior and exterior murals make guests feel welcome.

Rolled ice cream doesn’t melt as quickly as its unrolled counterpart, so you can eat it slowly.

Not to mention, It is a lot more fun to eat ice cream this way. Freezy Street offers much more than just ice cream – you get an experience you won’t forget.