Cross country teams show improvement at Loyola/Allstate Sugar Bowl Festival

Aaron Albert finishes third overall as UNO men finish second

UNO Athletics

Improvement was the word of the day at the Loyola/Allstate Sugar Bowl Cross Country Festival.  Senior Aaron Albert turned in another impressive performance as the Privateers finished second among Division 1 schools at the meet held Saturday, Sept. 9 at LaFreniere Park in Metairie.

The best performance of the day for New Orleans came courtesy of Albert, a Baton Rouge native, who covered the 5 kilometer course in 16:13.4, good enough for a third-place finish overall.

“I felt like I did well and I just went for it every time I felt the pace was slow,” said Albert.  “I’ll just keep battling and running as strong as I can, and if God wills it, I just keep giving by best for the Privateers.”

Freshman Kaleb Chanet crossed the line in 11th place with a time of 17:20.5.  Mark Golay, a junior, was next at 17:23.4.  Freshmen Lucas Marcello (19th 18:05.0), Jacob Fitts (30th19:16.4), and Travis O’Callaghan (43 21:31.1) round out the day for the UNO men.

The times are not there because of the number of miles we put in training, so to see them run well after working in the weight room yesterday is very good,” Coach Adam Carlisle said.

Tulane led men’s standings among Division I schools with 18 points followed by New Orleans with 57, Southern of Baton Rouge 75 points and Mississippi Valley State with 90.

Senior Emily Martinez (19th 22:02.1) was the fastest competitor for New Orleans.  Followed by Latoya Harris (40 24:28.5), Julia Smith (41 24:36.3), Tijanna Harris (45 25:34.0), Gentry Jacquet (50 26:34.2).

Carlisle felt it was positive day of competition overall.

“We got much better performances this week from Tijanna Harris and Julia Smith. It was great to see them get their legs under them after a week of experience.”  Carlisle added, “If you can get a little better each week, that’s all we can ask.”

For meet results go to www.cfpitiming.com.

The next competition for the Privateers is set for Saturday, September 16, when they travel to Baton Rouge for the LSU Invitational.

For more information on New Orleans Cross Country and Privateers Athletics, visit their official website, www.unoprivateers.com or follow them on social media.