Volleyball makes progress at North Texas Challenge

UNO Athletics

The University of New Orleans volleyball team entered the North Texas Challenge with a two-game win streak.  They extended that string to three games with a victory over Campbell University on Friday evening in five sets, 3-2 (17-25, 23-25, 25-23, 26-24, 16-14.)

However, the Privateers left Denton, Texas with a two-game losing streak, dropping two matches Saturday to North Texas 3-0 (25-14, 25-15, 25-15) and Oregon State 3-0 (25-15, 25-12, 25-16.)

The three-match winning streak by the Privateers was their longest since a six-game run during the 2015 season.  New Orleans stands at 5-4 on the season—matching their win total during the entire 2016 season.

The five-set win over Campbell gives head coach Millicent Van Norden reason to be excited.

“We blocked very well during the weekend,” Van Norden said. “Even in the match we lost, we averaged three blocks a set, which is an enormous number against a really good team.  We set our sights on being the stronger blocking and digging team, so to see our large increase against a high-powered offense is a really good sign moving forward.”

In the win over Campbell, New Orleans came back from a two-set deficit to win, taking set-five, 16-14.

“They were a really good team so it was nice to see that resiliency,” Van Norden said. “They were able to stick to the game plan under pressure. Defensively, blocking, ball handling, aggressive serving was why we were able to come back and win the match.”

The play of Lane Hindenberg was big in the Campbell match with 15 kills, four service aces and three digs.  Rhyan Rand had 14 kills and 11 digs, while Kaitlyn Grice had 11 kills.  

“Always looking ahead, not looking back,” Van Norden said. “We got better at blocking, we played three really good teams and we know what we need to do moving forward going into next weekend.”

Up next for New Orleans: the UAB Invitational in Birmingham, Alabama, Friday and Saturday, Sept. 15-16.

The Privateers’ next home game will be the Southland Conference opener versus University of the Incarnate Word. It takes place at  6:30 p.m.  Thursday, Sept. 21 at the Human Performance Center.

For more information on New Orleans Women’s Volleyball and Privateers Athletics, visit the team’s official website, www.unoprivateers.com or follow them on social media.