This fall’s popular movie previews: Part one of two

Greetings, students and movie fans! Welcome to Driftwood’s inaugural fall movie preview, where I will highlight the most important and talked-about films that will be coming to a cinema near you within the next few months. Now might be a good time to sign up for MoviePass or your favorite theater chain’s rewards program, because you won’t want to miss any of these! Whether it’s action, drama, comedy, horror, or sci-fi, there’s something here for everyone…

“It” – In this second filmed adaptation (and first theatrical release) of Stephen King’s 1986 novel, expect a new clown epidemic to terrorize the nation. They don’t come any more wicked than the demonic-yet-iconic Pennywise (played by Bill Skarsgård). While it may be hard to top Tim Curry’s flawless performance in the 1991 television mini-series, the star of Netflix’s “Hemlock Grove” has already impressed fans of the source material in promotional trailers leading up to the film’s release. Co-starring Jaeden Lieberher (“St. Vincent,” “Midnight Special”) as the leader of the “Loser’s Club,” a group of seven boys who come face-to-face with an evil entity that preys on their very ilk. Opens on Sept. 8.

“Mother!” – Oscar-winners Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem star as a married couple whose peaceful life is upended by the arrival of two strangers (frequent Oscar-nominees Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer) in this psychological horror film written and directed by Darren Aronofsky (“Black Swan,” “The Wrestler”). Aronofsky has proven time and again that he knows exactly how to unsettle his audience, dating back to earlier cerebral works such as “Pi” and “Requiem for a Dream,” making him one of a handful of major directors who also happen to have a huge cult following. Opens Sept.15.

“Battle of the Sexes” – Reigning Best-Actress-Oscar-winner Emma Stone (“La La Land”) reunites — not with Ryan Gosling, but with her other “Crazy, Stupid, Love” co-star Steve Carell — as tennis pros Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs in a re-enactment of their much-hyped 1973 bout. It was actually the second male-vs.-female tennis exhibition after the retired Riggs defeated Margaret Court just a few months prior, but this is the one that grabbed national headlines and an estimated 90 million viewers around the globe. Here’s to hoping that this quirky-looking sports biopic can snag that much in ticket sales when it hits theaters on Sept. 22.

“Kingsman: The Golden Circle” – Newly-dapper British secret agent Eggsy (Taron Egerton) and his presumed-dead mentor Harry Hart (Colin Firth) return, along with Director Matthew Vaughn, in this sequel to the hit 2014 film “Kingsman: The Secret Service.” This time around, our heroes join forces with their American counterparts “Statesman,” the ranks of which include Jeff Bridges, Channing Tatum, and Halle Berry. United, they must do battle with the titular criminal organization, led by a global entrepreneur known as “Poppy” (Julianne Moore). Mark Strong co-stars in the first of several films this fall, based on the wildly popular medium known as comic books. Opening on Sept. 22.

“American Made” – Tom Cruise tries to rebound from his last two stinkers, “Jack Reacher: Never Go Back” and “The Mummy,” in this true story of TWA pilot-turned-drug-smuggler Barry Seal, recruited by the CIA to combat the spread of communism in Central America. What they didn’t know is that he’d be responsible for the rise of the Medellin cartel in Columbia. It’s obvious that they didn’t study his résumé particularly well! Co-starring Domhnall Gleeson, the film opens in cinemas on Sept. 29.