Intramural sports: Available to all

UNO offers a variety of ways for students to get involved in sports. The Department of Athletics handles intercollegiate sports, but participating in tryouts or vying for a scholarship isn’t the only way to join a league. Various student organizations also hold club sports, but now, students and faculty can participate in their favorite games in yet another way with intramural sports.

Run by the Recreation and Intramural Sports (RIS) department, intramural sports provides another option to a wider demographic of people on campus. According to Edgar Avila Jr., the Interim and Assistant Director of Intramural and Club Sports, “Intramural sports [have] teams consisting of students, alumni, and faculty [who] compete against each other.” Thoroughly involved with UNO’s athletic community, Avila said he loves intramural sports because they “gave me an opportunity to play competitively once my high school athletic career was over.”

Milan Holman, employee and part-time referee for UNO’s recreational department, explained that UNO’s teams are often self-organized and, for example, are sometimes created amongst students of one ethnic category, such as Middle Eastern or Latino. Holman said he personally wishes that more people knew about the intramural leagues, “so that we can have more games.” He acknowledged that more games mean more opportunities to referee, but he said, “I don’t care about the pay. I just enjoy doing it.”

With intramural sports, students and faculty can make use of the summer and UNO’s numerous fields and courts to exercise and play. Anyone interested in UNO’s intramural soccer, flag football, or basketball will have ample opportunity to join.

“Typically, these games are once a week, depending on the sport,” said Avila. To join the team, those interested can visit imleagues.com, sign up using their UNO email address, and pay the one-time $10 fee.

For UNO students looking to get involved, Avila noted that intramural sports are “an opportunity to meet new people and to be exposed to many different cultures and communities.”